• [6.11.1] VMs throwing TPM 2.0 error when starting

bkingsolver
    • Solved Minor

After upgrading from 6.10.0 to 6.11.1, VMs with OVMF TPM fail to start. Even a new VM with OVMF TPM fails with to start this same error. VMs start normally after reverting to 6.10.0.

I attached the diagnostics file generated before reverting.

image.png.3b68e03d4e620373103d13db73fa8f36.png

tower-diagnostics-20221006-1928.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I cannot create error on my machine but will keep looking. Not that this is the cause but was missing icons messqges in logs, looks like you use VMCustom icons.

Thank you, let me know if I can provide any other information. I have VMCustom icons. I wonder if it didn't run on startup like it normally does. 

Seeing Exactly the same issue with my Windows 11 VMs. I´m going to try and revert back to 6.10......

Really doesnt look good....

Hope we can get some help with this one.

thanks,

Paulo

Edited by Paulo Vieira

A correction on this: the OVMF TPM VMs work fine on 6.11.0 and broke on 6.11.1. I'm not sure why I entered 6.10.0 in the bug report.

@Paulo Vieira - I reverted from 6.11.1 to 6.11.0 and the VMs worked fine for me.

On 10/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, bkingsolver said:

correction on this: the OVMF TPM VMs work fine on 6.11.0 and broke on 6.11.1. I'm not sure why I entered 6.10.0 in the bug report.

@Paulo Vieira - I reverted from 6.11.1 to 6.11.0 and the VMs worked fine for me.

Can you try to change the name from the VM from "Darth-Eleven" to "DarthEleven" and see if this fixes the issue?

On 10/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, Paulo Vieira said:

Seeing Exactly the same issue with my Windows 11 VMs. I´m going to try and revert back to 6.10......

Please provide your Diagnostics.

I also seeing the same problem with Windows 11 VM. I suspect because my old custom scripts for installing TPM support before unraid officially supports it but removing the script still no luck. During boot, I can see the TPM module is being installed though. Reverting back to 6.11.0 works fine.

15 hours ago, ich777 said:

Can you try to change the name from the VM from "Darth-Eleven" to "DarthEleven" and see if this fixes the issue?

No joy.

Here's what I did.

• Renamed that VM from Darth-Eleven to DarthEleven
    • Upgraded to 6.11.1
    • On reboot, none of my OVMF TPM VMs booted (tried all of Darth [Win10], DarthEleven [Win11], and rhel9). My OVMF VM (fedora) booted fine.
    • I tried to create a new Windows 11 VM backed by OVMF TPM, and got the error about it lacking TPM 2.0 support when I hit the Create button on the VM creation screen.
    • I reverted to 6.11.0 and things are working well again.

@20051231 might be on to something. I followed instructions in the forums to add TPM support before it was officially supported by unraid. I'm tracking down the instructions on what I did to see if I can undo it. However, I'm guessing others followed this procedure as well and are surprised that 6.11.0 works but 6.11.1 doesn't in this configuration. 

I attached updated diagnostics if it's helpful.

I appreciate your help with tracking this down!

tower-diagnostics-20221013-2000.zip

16 hours ago, 20051231 said:

I suspect because my old custom scripts for installing TPM support before unraid officially supports it but removing the script still no luck.

5 hours ago, bkingsolver said:

I followed instructions in the forums to add TPM support before it was officially supported by unraid.

Did both of you follow the same guide? Can you please point me to the Guide(s) you where following?

I think your best bet would be to recreate your libvirt image and recreate your VM's afterwards with OVMF TPM.

So I think this issue is not directly related to Unraid 6.11.1 instead it is related to the custom script that you where following to get TPM working right?

That fixed it. Following that guide way back in the past will break the upgrade to 6.11.1. It is a custom script and not a problem with 6.11.1.

Here are the steps I followed to successfully upgrade to 6.11.1, for those that followed this guide to add TPM support: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/swtpm-unraid-zoltan-repasi/

• In an unraid shell, delete these files on the unraid server
      • /boot/extra/libseccomp.txz
      • /boot/extra/libtpms.txz
      • /boot/extra/swtpm_final.txz
    • Next, in the unraid webpage, go to Settings/User Scripts
    • Click on the gear for the startup_script (mine was called swtpm startup_script) and click Delete Script

Then, head over to Tools and upgrade to 6.11.1.

• Like 1