• [6.5.3] unraid thinks a drive is spun down when it istn't?

Guzzi
    • Minor

I have the issue, that the GUI display and disks.ini file seem to not be in sync with the information about the spinning state of some hard drives.

In the GUI, Dashboard and Main view show different states (for the disks affected):

- Dashboard shows disk spun down (grey) and no tempareature

- Main view shows disk spun down (grey), but shows temperature

Current example is disk18 - looking into the browser debugger, the request

http://192.168.0.21/webGui/include/DeviceList.php? path=Main&device=array&csrf_token=xxxxxx

returns the info: .... <span>Device is in standby mode (spun-down)</span> ....

Content of disks.ini for disk18 at the same time is:

["disk18"]
    idx="18"
    name="disk18"
    device="sdt"
    id="WDC_WD100EFAX-XXXXXXXX"
    size="9766436812"
    status="DISK_OK"
    rotational="1"
    format="GPT: 4K-aligned"
    temp="34"
    numReads="0"
    numWrites="0"
    numErrors="0"
    type="Data"
    color="green-blink"
    fsStatus="Mounted"
    luksState="0"
    comment=""
    exportable="no"
    fsType="xfs"
    fsColor="green-on"
    fsSize="9765006020"
    fsFree="1263003968"
    spindownDelay="-1"
    spinupGroup=""
    deviceSb="md18"
    idSb="WDC_WD100EFAX-XXXXXXXXX"
    sizeSb="9766436812"

hdparm -C tells, the drive is active/idle, I assume this must be the correct state.

So the issue seems to be, that some part report the drive as spun down and thus no automatic spindown command happens anymore.

As a consequence, temperature stays high and IPMI-plugin (which reads info from disks.ini) can't reduce fan speed (which is correct behaviour).

If I do a manuel spin down (or spin up) on "Array Operations" tab, it goes in sync again.

I remember we had such behaviour some years ago, which was solved for a long time.

ANybody else having the same issue and an idea how I could solve it?

From where is the Devicelist.php call getting the information?

Edit: This seems to happen especially with the WD-Red 10GB drives - smaller drives are not affected,  as far as I can see. This explains, why it just started recently (when I added the 10TB drives to the array), but not before...

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Notice same issue, but Dashboard and main view was sync. Anyway if temperature show, the disk should be spin up instead down.

From observe, some case disk spin up was cause by hardware instead software / unRAID / other reason, then unRAID wouldn't spin down again.

If aggressively check the state and only count by timer and spin down, it also got problem. For example, a disk running self extend test, if submit spin down then the extend test will be abort.

Anyway, spin up/down still not work as expect, and not limited to the size / model of disk.

Edited by Benson

@limetech: Is it possible to add some verification within unraid that it gets the "real" status of the discs?

Obviously, unraid thinks the disks are spun down, when they are not and thus doesn't try to spin them down automatically anymore - could we as a workaround at least have some e.g. hdparm-checks to get unraid internal state in sync with real state? hdparm always reports me the currect state on my tests. Currently, I have to do manual spinup or spin down to get to this ?