• [6.7.2] Can't login as root after changing password via Webgui

m4ck5h4ck
    • Minor

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to the webgui > users > root

2. Change the root password to the following (this was a randomly generated password from a password manager and was only used for this purpose, therefore I am comfortable posting it here):

!N'z"':^0zywte8yHUi#,@|gmZ"=i9

After performing the above steps, I'm unable to log into the webgui as root or ssh into the box as root using the password listed above. Logging into the console similarly fails.

The only way I was able to get back into the webgui was to power down and manually remove the password hash from the shadow file.

Below is the password hash I removed from the shadow file:

$5$MRoRGFWJT$cyvo9u.sQdRALjCYjx4hz23KeMnkydMyZELhrrlmxb7

I'm assuming it has something to do with the special characters used as mentioned in the below thread:

Edit: I initially had my diagnostics folder uploaded, but it was pointed out to me there was some personal information I'm not comfortable posting publicly. I will happily provide the zip to the appropriate staff!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I initially had my diagnostics folder uploaded, but it was pointed out to me there was some personal information I'm not comfortable posting publicly. I will happily provide the zip to the appropriate staff!

It would be interesting to know what type of information this was as the Diagnostics are meant to be anonymised to avoid exactly this issue.   Maybe there is some further tweak needed.

5 hours ago, bonienl said:

Do not use quotes in your password.

I think the point of this report is to complain that the webgui should give an error message and refuse to complete the change when entering a non-valid password instead of accepting it and causing a lock out condition.

8 hours ago, bonienl said:

Are you seriously implying that the unraid core development team doesn't know enough about accepting user input to accept quotes for a password? This is an entry-level thing guys; it shouldn't take long to fix at all.

8 hours ago, bonienl said:

And please change priority, this is not urgent.

Thank you for your reply, priority has been changed to minor.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

It would be interesting to know what type of information this was as the Diagnostics are meant to be anonymised to avoid exactly this issue.   Maybe there is some further tweak needed.

The one most concerning to me was that the running list of processes leaked the VPN IP address one of my dockers is connecting to.

The other things were a customized Unraid server name (should be switched to tower as part of the anonymization process IMO) as well as a few share names.

3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

I think the point of this report is to complain that the webgui should give an error message and refuse to complete the change when entering a non-valid password instead of accepting it and causing a lock out condition.

This is exactly the point of the report.

I don't love the answer of "Don't use quotes in your password" nonetheless I agree with jonathanm that some validation that rejects invalid passwords would be nice.

Edited by MrMackShack
    Changed wording to sound nicer

This has been fixed for 6.8-rc5, that is passwords can contain single and double quotes.

Something to be aware of is how white space (space and tab characters) in passwords are handled:

• all leading and trailing white space is discarded
    • multiple embedded white space is collapsed to a single space character.

By contrast, encryption passphrase is used exactly as-is.

• Thanks 1
    1 hour ago, limetech said:

This has been fixed for 6.8-rc5, that is passwords can contain single and double quotes.

Something to be aware of is how white space (space and tab characters) in passwords are handled:

I protest this decision! It is unacceptable that I can't use my niche password "                  ". 😂

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

I protest this decision! It is unacceptable that I can't use my niche password "                  ". 😂

Imagine rainbow tables full of emtpy passwords with only your year of birth at the end 😂

3 hours ago, limetech said:

Awesome, glad to hear it!

2 minutes ago, MrMackShack said:

Awesome, glad to hear it!

I'm not really happy with this solution because I think password handling should be same as encryption passphrase handling: what you type exactly is exactly what is used, even if you have leading/trailing spaces and/or multiple spaces in a row.  But this will require more changes than I was willing to do and test before releasing this -rc5.  At least the reported issue with quote chars in passwords is addressed.

• Like 1