• [6.7.2] User and public share permission

yaneck
    • Annoyance

Hello,

I had a weird problem. 

I wanted to backup everyday at the same time a folder from my computer to a folder in one of my shares.

I'm on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 btw.

This share's security setting is set to public. 

Which brings me to assume that anyone should have R/W access to it and each and every folder within it.

If I (as a person behind the keyboard and mouse) copy/paste/store/delete to this folder within this public share, everything is absolutely fine and works as it should.

But, you know, the great thing about computers is that you can automate tasks, especially backups.

Hurray! Mac created an app called Automator which helps me to do this.
    So I created the script which is launched via iCal then takes the file in finder and copies it to my unraid folder within the public share. if the file is already existent within the recipient it is allowed to overwrite it.

So I tested the automator script. It worked! Great!

Then I waited until the iCal launched the script automagically... aaaannnnd... 

Automator couldn't copy anything because it didn't have permissions to write to the folder.

So after a bit of fiddling I found where this "bug" came from.

On the mac I was logged as one of the unraid's user. As soon as I unlogged, the automator script was running fine again.
    I'm not a 100% sure that this is a bug per se. But if my understanding is correct, a share set to public should allow any user to R/W into it. So it should not matter for Automator.

Please ask if more informations are needed

Anyway, you be the judges.

tmrserver-diagnostics-20190819-1442.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have seen a similar problem on Windows.    In that case it is because Windows does not allow two connections at the same time to the same server with different users from the a particular client.  It just fails the second connection reporting a failure to authenticate.   I wonder if MacOS has a similar limitation.