• [6.9.2] Comments for parity drives cannot be applied, explanation wrong?

TBT
    • Minor

I wanted to write my warranty date into every hard disks comment. This worked everywhere, but not with the parity disks.

Steps to reproduce:

• Go to individual parity or parity 2 settings page (click on "Parity" from "Main")
    • Write something into the "Comments:" field
    • Apply

Bug:

• The comment will not be saved, the entered text will disappear.

Desired behaviour:

• The comment should be saved.

Possible bug / maybe wrong text reuse:

In addition to that, the "?" (help) text in the blue box after clicking on "Comments:" is: "This text will appear under the Comments column for the share in Windows Explorer. Enter anything you like, up to 256 characters."

The parity / parity 2 individual drives have nothing to to with any share and certainly do not appear as one.

I am not sure if the help box "This text will appear under the Comments column for the share in Windows Explorer. Enter anything you like, up to 256 characters." with any other singluar hard drive makes sense. One drive COULD be a singular share, but mostly isn't.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I can confirm that the comment field does not seem to work on my parity drive either.

But for your specific use case, you should use the dedicated fields at the bottom of the page, in the Identity section.

A part is dedicated to just that.

image.thumb.png.adfe7f96ad93abafc6e79a57db9109ab.png

Dear ChatNoir,

I am aware of those entries and do use them and they do work for all drives. I however wanted to have that important info a little bit more on top. Other data could be in there of course as well.

Regardless of what information users would want to save there, it should also work on parity drives (as it does with all other drives). That is why I filed the bug report, as it seems to be one (if indeed minor).

As mentioned above, I also think that the help fields do have the wrong content in them, as the text makes no sense at that position. It is only with shares that this text would make sense.