• EMHTTPD: READ SMART KEEPS DISKS SPIN UP

saz369
    • Minor

6.10.3 EMHTTPD: READ SMART KEEPS DISKS SPIN UP. The hard driver was can sleep at 6.9.2, but after upgrade 6.10.3. the disk can not be sleep anymore. I check its because READ SMART KEEPS DISKS SPIN UP.

微信图片_20220626025500.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

A SMART read happens when the GUI detects a disk spins up, something is making them spin up before that.

10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

A SMART read happens when the GUI detects a disk spins up, something is making them spin up before that.

how can i check what cause them spin up?

I'm having the same issue, on v6.8 spin down was working fine but ever since upgrading I've had an issue,

Drive wake up seams to be every hour, 

Noticed quite a few similar bug reports on the forums, most seam to report solving the issue by identifying something accessing the array, however not 100% convinced there isn't a bug.

I'm currently debugging on a clean install of 6.10.3 & this is still an issue

Was there ever any update on this problem? 

I have a very similar issue, with possible some more information to add. The server in question is an HP DL360 Gen9. Previously I was running a custom AMD server on 6.9, and no HDD spin up after spinning down issues. Upgraded to 6.10, also fine, no issues to report.

I recently changed to the HP server, and now the drives wont stay spun down. After a few seconds of being spun down, the array drives will spin back up. citing something similar to what is above. 

File activity shows nothing (activity on cache drives, but not on array drives). I have the folder cache plugin, but its not enabled, and I have the File Integrity plugin enabled for new files. 

So, is this an HP server issue, or an unraid issue?

Interesting, my current HBA card is an HP H220, maybe it is an issue with HP cards?

I have a new HBA (Intel RS2WC080 - 9240-8i) in the post now will update when it arrives and have swapped it out

Have done a bit of further investigation as per other posts (apparently this has been going on for a while). 

Moved system and appdata share to be completely on cache disk, but no change. 
    Removed cache dirs plugin, no change.
    Set file integrity to not scan new files, but no change. 
    Also rebooted in between just to make sure things took effect. 

Could it be the recycling bin? (That would be a bit annoying).  
    I have shares mounted to VMs, but again, that would be very annoying if it was the issue. 

File activity did show something, although I didn't think to save the exact message, but it was something along the lines of:

OPEN: /mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp
    MODIFY: /mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp
    DELETE:/mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp

It would do that a few times, but not every time the disks would be spun up. Also, after a second reboot, file activity did not show this again. 

1 hour ago, malleyc said:

my current HBA card is an HP H220, maybe it is an issue with HP cards?

Some controllers don't support spin down, mostly RAID controllers, that one should if flashed to LSI IT mode.

Believe the “some_random_number.tmp” files are from “CA Fix common problems” 

Frustrating thing is same HBA was working fine for spin-down on v6.8…

My drives stay spun down for a while but will wake up around every hour, can see clearly via power monitoring

Have run all sorts of tests prior to Odering a new HBA, disabled SMB / NFS, new flash drive with clean OS install, disabled VM & docker etc…

6C113B93-E6CC-41D0-97E5-4F4D269EAB5C.jpeg

2 hours ago, mmmeee15 said:

OPEN: /mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp
    MODIFY: /mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp
    DELETE:/mnt/Disk3/some_random_number.tmp

You can set Fix Common Problems to avoid disk spinups.  And if this is happening constantly, then you've got FCP running way to often.  Daily is more than sufficient.

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

You can set Fix Common Problems to avoid disk spinups.  And if this is happening constantly, then you've got FCP running way to often.  Daily is more than sufficient.

The frequency to run background checks is set to "disabled". Avoid spinning up disks is also set to skip, so I don't think this is the issue. 

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Some controllers don't support spin down, mostly RAID controllers, that one should if flashed to LSI IT mode.

My HBA (raid card) is the HP Smart Array P440ar - 2GB. Would you happen to know if this card supports spinning down? I set it to HBA mode through HPs interface, I forget what its called. But it worked rather smoothly, compared to my gen8 server. 

In any case, thank you all for your responses. I will continue checking to see what the issue might be. Unless of course the HBA doesn't support spinning down. 

12 minutes ago, mmmeee15 said:

My HBA (raid card) is the HP Smart Array P440ar - 2GB. Would you happen to know if this card supports spinning down?

No personal experience with that model but unlikely that a RAID controller will correctly support spin down.

New HBA card arrived and installed, looks like drives are staying spun down,

Glad to finally have this issue sorted!

image.png.2b75937f92e85981efca6bb72774a479.png

Dragging this back up I am afraid. 

I have been having this issue since moving servers. 

Has anyone proved or disproved that there is an issue with HP HBA cards not staying spun down via Unraid? 

I sometimes see one or two of the drives stay spun down longer than the others but eventually they all come spinning back to life.

I have checked the File Activity add on and nothing is happening on my server disk wise.

I have 4 SATA and one SAS connected to my HP H240 card.

Even the SAS drive does not stay spun down via the SAS spin down add on. It spins down find but also gets reactivated like the SATA ....but does tend to stay spun down longer than the SATAs.

I am hoping I don't have to get a new HBA card to fix this issue. With the cost of electricity now having these drives spun down will save me a few bob over the year. 

Any help appreciated. 

Snag_d0ba92.png

On 7/27/2022 at 4:59 AM, malleyc said:

New HBA card arrived and installed, looks like drives are staying spun down,

Glad to finally have this issue sorted!

image.png.2b75937f92e85981efca6bb72774a479.png

Hi @malleyc Long time since you posted I know but hopefully you are still about... 

Which HBA card did you change to please? 

What make of power plug are you using to get the detail in your screen shot ? 

thanks

Swapped from a HP H220 HBA / LSI 9205-8i to Intel RS2WC080 HBA and has been working fine since then

Monitoring power usage via an Aqara Zigbee smart plug and Home Assistant

Edited by malleyc
    • Thanks 2