Orphan images?

Hi all,

My docker.img keeps getting full once or twice in a few months. Checking the Docker tab reveals orphaned images - I'm assuming these are crufts left over from Docker container updates.

Is this normal? Do I need to manually keep deleting these images? Is there any tool that auto-deletes them?

Drives me crazy because I fear I've configured something wrong, only to find out it's the images that's causing the problem. After I deleted the images my utilization shrunk from 76% to 52% and lower.

EDIT: This is insane. I deleted all the orphan images and the usage shrunk to 25%. And as a nice bonus, the FS tab in cAdvisor started working again.

Are we supposed to delete these images every time it comes up or did I configure something wrong?

Edited by Guest
Hi all,

My docker.img keeps getting full once or twice in a few months. Checking the Docker tab reveals orphaned images - I'm assuming these are crufts left over from Docker container updates.

Is this normal? Do I need to manually keep deleting these images? Is there any tool that auto-deletes them?

Drives me crazy because I fear I've configured something wrong, only to find out it's the images that's causing the problem. After I deleted the images my utilization shrunk from 76% to 52% and lower.

EDIT: This is insane. I deleted all the orphan images and the usage shrunk to 25%. And as a nice bonus, the FS tab in cAdvisor started working again.

Are we supposed to delete these images every time it comes up or did I configure something wrong?

Orphan images can always be deleted without ill effects. Most of the time they get created when you have an error on the template which results in the docker run command failing. In normal use of updating etc they will not get created

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk