Data Recover on Parity Drive

This topic is related to previous topic:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10001.0 and I need your opinion.

Quick preview:

My parity and disk1 are failed. They are both 1.5 TB Seagate Baracuda.

This is what I have done:

I sent my disk 1 to seagate for data recovery but they cannot recover the data. They mention that the head 0 and 1 are broken. They also mention something else but I do not remember.... So my disk1 is gone.

My question:

I am planning to send my parity drive to segate for data recovery. Do you think this worth it? If seagate can recover the parity drive and image all data to other 1.5 TB hard drive, will I be able to override unraid and make this as parity and rebuild disk 1?

Thank You!

BW

My question:

I am planning to send my parity drive to segate for data recovery. Do you think this worth it? If seagate can recover the parity drive and image all data to other 1.5 TB hard drive, will I be able to override unraid and make this as parity and rebuild disk 1?

Thank You!

BW

Yes, if they are able to replace the electronics on the disk and get it readable once more you can force unRAID to consider it to be good and disk 1 invalid.

you would stop the array (although with two failed disks, it probably is already stopped)

Assign the disks as needed (they might send a new serial number disk back with your old parity data)

Then use the

initconfig

command.

then, BEFORE starting the array type;

/root/mdcmd set invalidslot 1

to force unRAID to think disk1 is the disk to be rebuilt.

Joe L.

BW, sorry for your data.

The chances are Seagate wont do anything to your data as the problem is considered thing of the past now and it simply cheaper for them to send you another "refurb" and claim that the original one has broken heads, etc...

Second - you do not have any "data" on your parity drive. Even if they do try something there is possibility that they wont find anything "usable" and decide to abandon early in the process. Unless you instruct them to give you the complete image on your drive content bit by bit and they agree on that I foresee a potential problem.

Make sure to ask them for assessment before attempting any recovery and if possible to perform only the "firmware fix"

The problem could be in the "stuck" firmware or electrical or mechanical....

Good luck and keep us updated.

• 3 weeks later...

Seagate give me quote on my parity drive data recovery. It is $2000 and they will not be able to recover 100% of the data. There is possibility it gets worst. I have not respond to them yet.

This is the what they say:

"Our lab has completed the evaluation of your unit. It has been determined that the unit has internal problems preventing normal operation of the device.

Internal problems include but are not limited to; Failure of the read/write heads, media damage, system area

corruption, media contamination.

Based upon this evaluation, we feel that a recovery may be possible. Our engineered solutions will be applied to this issue in attempts to revive the unit long enough for sector level access. Once achieved, a raw image of all readable content will be made to a shop device. We will analyze and repair the corrupted /invalid/ unreadable file-system components, and finally mount the recovery to determine if some / all of the data you require is intact."

This is my question: If seagate can recover only part of the data in the parity drive (I do not know how much), will I still be able to read most of my disk1 information?

Thank You!

Regards,

BW

Sounds risky but if they can make a copy of the data you can recovery disk1 using it.

They can't do that file system repair and mounting part. All you can do is get a sector by sector dirct raw copy of the disk and try it.

One other thing I didn't read - you have not used the other disks, correct? If you are still writing to the other disks then you've lost data doing that too. Both having some damage of the parity and writing to the other disks means you might be best to just give up on the recovery.

Peter

Wouldn't the parity disk have to be fully intact for disk1 to be emulated?  I didn't think you could recover just part of your data...but I've been wrong before.

That's the risk, the potential data lost on disk1 is directly related to the percentage of the parity disk that gets recovered. He can rebuild and then run reiserfsck to see what can be recovered.

Peter

Wouldn't the parity disk have to be fully intact for disk1 to be emulated?  I didn't think you could recover just part of your data...but I've been wrong before.

That's the risk, the potential data lost on disk1 is directly related to the percentage of the parity disk that gets recovered. He can rebuild and then run reiserfsck to see what can be recovered.

Peter

If the $2000 is not an issue, you can try.  I give you about a 10% chance of getting anything useful back.  (I would not waste my money)

Okay. It is the time to forgot the failed disks, reset my unraid server, and move on. I will only go with parity and 4 data (total 5 drives) this time. I bought 2TB WD to replace the parity drive.

I think I now what I have to do but need to confirm:

• type initconfig in root
  • assign my new parity drive and rearrange all the 4 data drives
  • start the array

just want to make sure: initconfig will not delete any data in my existing data drives. It only resets the parity drive.

Thank You!

BW

Okay. It is the time to forgot the failed disks, reset my unraid server, and move on. I will only go with parity and 4 data (total 5 drives) this time. I bought 2TB WD to replace the parity drive.

I think I now what I have to do but need to confirm:

• type initconfig in root
  • assign my new parity drive and rearrange all the 4 data drives
  • start the array

just want to make sure: initconfig will not delete any data in my existing data drives. It only resets the parity drive.

Thank You!

BW

Initconfig sets a new disk configuration based on the currently assigned and working disks.  It immediately invalidates any parity calculations based on any prior disk configuration. (even if the disks are unchanged)

So...

1. Stop the array

2. Assign the new parity drive, re-arrange the 4 other drives as desired.

3. Type "initconfig" when logged in as root, respond to its prompt with "Yes"

4. Refresh the browser on the web-management page for the server.  All the disk indicators should show as "blue"

5. Start the array.  A new Parity calculation will begin.  Let it complete.

Joe L.

My unraid does not want to start. It is version 4.5.4. The 2 TB hd is EARS disk. I put jumper 7/8. Unraid is running on circle. It works find after I unplug the 2TB Hard drive. But I need that drive for my parity.

Do you think I should upgrade unraid to ver. 4.7 and remove the jumper? If it does, can I do that and run the initconfig?

Regards,

BW

I remember now.

I used the 2TB Hard drive in windows machine without jumper before. Now I put jumper and using it in unraid. I think I need to upgrade my unraid to 4.7 and remove the jumper. Please confirm.

Thanks!

BW

Yes, generally speaking you do not want to change the jumper/no-jumper state of a used EARS. They act "stupid" until you read/write to them enough for them to maybe work right again. Sometimes changing the jumper and then running the preclear script on them will make them start to work right again. Other times they never work right when the jumper state is changed. You started using it without a jumper so the easiest is to just stay with no jumper.

Peter

I remember now.

I used the 2TB Hard drive in windows machine without jumper before. Now I put jumper and using it in unraid. I think I need to upgrade my unraid to 4.7 and remove the jumper. Please confirm.

Thanks!

BW

Leave the jumper on. There is no benefit to removing it.