We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

VM with Raid 0

Hello ,

I know how the Unraid work , no raid , just parity ;I wanna ask a simple question .

If you create a VM with 3-4 drives in RAID 0 , and one of the VDisks fails , will the Unraid software rebuild the disk , including the data that was stored on the VM under raid 0 ?

If yes , this is really cool .

PS : I haven't purchased a license yet , I'm still looking for what suits my needs . 

Thank you.

If it is a VM then the RAID support is running inside the VM not at the Unraid level so it is the responsibility of the VM to handle the exact scenario you asked about.

if you mean that a physical disk fails that contains the vdisk files and they are on disks being protected by Unraid (I.e. not on Unassigned Devices) then Unraid will rebuild that disk.   In this case Unraid is unaware of the RAID  part but it knows what should be on that drive.

20 hours ago, itimpi said:

if you mean that a physical disk fails that contains the vdisk files and they are on disks being protected by Unraid (I.e. not on Unassigned Devices) then Unraid will rebuild that disk.   In this case Unraid is unaware of the RAID  part but it knows what should be on that drive.

That's exactly what I was asking for .

Than I don't know why most people don't use this feature . I know that what I'm asking is not different from a raid 5/6 , but still gives a lot of room to play with .

Thank you .

What makes you think most people do not use this feature?

Note that probably the most common problem that most people seem to encounter is corruption at the file system level (for a wide variety of reasons) of the drive hosting the vdisks rather than drive failure.   As the disk has not failed the corruption will end up mirrored into parity so unRaid cannot help.   In such a case Unraid cannot help and it is up to the RAID software running in the VM to realise that a vdisk is now corrupt and needs recovering.    That is why most people back up their vdisks at periodic intervals so that they have a point in time they can always revert to if needed when things were known to be good.