We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Painfully slow transfer speed to cache and array local and over network?

Finished downloads are imported by sonarr/radarr at around 5-20 MB/s. When manually transferring files locally and over network the speed is the same. If I pause qbittorrentvpn the speed will increase to 80-100 MB/s which still seems slow for an nvme ssd..and everything used to import just fine while qbittorrentvpn was running. But when I run the mover I can see everything move from the cache to the array at 150-250 MB/s. I can also copy files within the cache at over 600 MB/s. I have been using this for years just fine, why would transferring/importing be so painfully slow all of a sudden?

leliel-diagnostics-20210202-1337.zip

So not sure which one you're actually asking about as you've mentioned just about every scenario.  There are multiple reasons for slower transfers, and many threads on them.

ANY network related speed issues the first bottleneck is going to be your network itself.  If you have 1gbps LAN ports and network hardware your transfer speed is limited to 1gpbs (~100mb/s), nothing you can do to change that except upgrade all your network hardware.

SSD to Array -> limited by HDD write speed and parity calculation.. my time with using Unbalance to move data typically gave me ~80mb/s with the parity drive enabled.

Array to SSD -> limited by HDD read speed and the potential for filling up the SSD fast write cache which then limits you to actual write speed on the SSD.

These are basic explanations, but they should give you a starting point as to why things are slower than you might expect.

I have no parity drive. I have 10 nas hard drives and a samsung 960 evo plus nvme ssd cache drive.

And it's not a network issue since its just as slow moving files locally from my downloads folder to my cache.

I'm only concerned because I have experience really good speed for a few years now. when downloads finished they were imported to the cache and available on plex immediately. Now suddenly its about 10-15 min spent importing each episode.

I recently upgraded and I feel like I should not be having any problems with the hardware I have.

intel i9 10900x

asus ws x299 sage/10g

16gb ddr4

samsung 960 plus 1 tb nvme ssd

5x wd red drives, 5x seagate ironwolf drives