A comment on the hardware lists of the Wiki

RobJ

I in no way wish to detract from the credit due those who have contributed so much to the Wiki.  But change happens, time has marched on, etc, etc ...

The current Wiki hardware lists were helpful in the past, but with the lack of lots of participation (I'm as guilty as any), appears to me to have lost its usefulness, and even become misleading, if it leads some to believe unRAID has a limited compatibility list.  It certainly seems to have been very unhelpful to the poster in this thread:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1064.0.

With the inclusion in recent unRAID versions of very up-to-date Linux kernel releases, hardware compatibility has become broad enough that I think the Wiki emphasis should now be on what is NOT compatible, rather than a limited and aging hardware compatibility list.  For example, I know of only 1 network adapter that is currently not known to be compatible with the latest unRAID version, and that is temporary.  There have been very few reports of other hardware that are not compatible.  It is probably better to assume a hardware component IS compatible with unRAID, until otherwise stated.  This at least applies to readily found, non-esoteric hardware.

Along with a statement as to broad hardware compatibility, reports of hardware incompatibilities and/or limitations could be included, and strongly encouraged.  I confess to still being ignorant of wiki editing procedures, with no good excuse.

On the other hand, reports of working hardware are and will always be useful, especially to new users.

I welcome other thoughts.  Of course, the most important opinions are from those who actually work on the Wiki !!

(This post is mostly redundant, I apologize, but I thought it worth more discussion than it would get where it was buried.)

I agree fully.

As a new user (yay!) I honestly had trouble using the wiki. The list was decent enough, but two things struck me:

1) So much of the equipment was old. 865 chipsets? How the hell am I going to find THAT? It may work, yes, but finding and implementing it was harder.

2) About zilch on the AMD side; I don't know if this is simply because the AMD platforms typically have components that don't work well with unRAID, or just a lack of people using them, but it was stunning.

I ended up just basically emulating the MD-1500 build. It was much simpler than trying to match up components and integrated devices that may or may not work.