Balancing Radar/Sonar

shuhari

I'm having a challenge balancing incoming data from docker containers (Radar/Sonar) across my drives.  Docker containers want to map directly to filesystem mount points but Unraid does not balance without incoming datasets via SMB/CIFS.

So I tried to use Unassigned Devices plugin and provide a "remote mount" to the docker containers to loopback SMB/CIFS.  This worked well for a long time, but now I'm finding the Unassigned Devices mountpoint becomes unaccesible from the docker container after a day or so.

How do other people handle this problem?  Unraid won't re-arrange or rebalance data across drives without intaking via SMB/CIFS.

23 minutes ago, shuhari said:

Unraid won't re-arrange or rebalance data across drives without intaking via SMB/CIFS.

UnRaid will not rebalance (I.e. move) files between array drives regardless of whether SMB/CIFs is used or not.   It does however have the rules for user shares that apply when copying files to user shares but these are not network specific.

if your docker containers are mapped to user shares (I.e. locations under /mnt/user) the the same rules are applied for placing files as would be applied if files came across network.

When my docker containers are mapped to /mnt/user/Array and they attempt to place data into the sub-folders, they do not seem to respect the inbound balancing effect to ensure that data is placed across the drives instead of stacking into the single drive.  I would end up with data stacked on a single drive in the array instead of spread acrossed via (what I understood to be) SMB/CIFS highwater allocation.

Are you saying the highwater allocation does not depend on SMB/CIFS ingestion but rather works also on any data placed to /mnt/user/Whatever ?  This doesn't seem to align with my data continually stacking on single drives in the array but I could troubleshoot if my assumption is wrong.

1 hour ago, shuhari said:

Are you saying the highwater allocation does not depend on SMB/CIFS ingestion but rather works also on any data placed to /mnt/user/Whatever ?  This doesn't seem to align with my data continually stacking on single drives in the array but I could troubleshoot if my assumption is wrong.

The allocation has nothing to do with SMB/CIFs.   If the files are ending up on a single drive then there is something else at play.