Advice on X99 motherboards

Hello all!

I've decided to build a NAS as my storage needs have changed as of late. I did a bunch of research and Unraid sounds perfect. I've never built one before, so I'd just like to sound it out and get some input.

I've been looking at hardware and second hand server stuff is very attractive. I'm currently umming and ahhing about whether I should go for LGA 2011 or LGA 2011 v3. The X99 motherboard I'm looking at is the HUANANZHI X99 TF and I'd pair it with something like a Xeon E5-2630L V4.

The motherboard has 2 PCI-E x16, 1 PCI-E x4 and 2 NVME ports. I'm planning on running a Plex server on it as well. The first PCI-E x16 will be for my GTX 1060, then as I expand I will add an LSI controller to the other x16 and the x4. What I can't find out, though, is whether or not I can use all 3 PCI-E slots and the two NVME slots. I'd like to use both NVME for the cache pool, but I'm not sure, as with some other boards, whether or not using them will limit the bandwidth to the other PCI-E slots.

Also, as an aside. Is there any reason I shouldn't fill the onboard SATA ports first?

Does anyone have any experience with this board or are able to offer some insight? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by Benji
  • Benji changed the title to Advice on X99 motherboards

I would be caeaful about the motherborad as you will have no suport it works or it dose not and the onley wantery is the refund time allyexpress. Seconed a cheap gpu ie a gt710 to the pcie x1 slot as display out for unraid and onto the drives you can use the sata ports on the boad frist and then get a HBA just rember the unraid basic onley allows 6 drives including cash drives but upgrading is not a big problem. last unraid has 30 day free tear and if you dont like it try open media vault put the plugins are worth money in my opaion