VNC port not listening on bridged VM

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

The built in VNC management is hosted by Unraid on the server IP when you use the VNC graphics card option in the VM setup.

You can set up any remote access you want in the VM itself, like nomachine or vnc.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your reply.

The VM is using the VNC Graphics card, please see the attached screen.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Yes, that means for VNC you should connect to the IP of Unraid, NOT the VM, as I tried to explain.

that's weird... so what happens if you run multiple VM's using the VNC graphics driver? do they pick another port? where is this documented?

Just now, bolisaf said:

that's weird... so what happens if you run multiple VM's using the VNC graphics driver? do they pick another port? where is this documented?

Each VM as it's started picks the next unused port, so the first VM is 5900, the next is 5901, etc, etc.

Look on the VMS tab in the GUI, the graphics column shows the current assignments.

Just now, jonathanm said:

BTW, I wouldn't use the built in VNC to use the VM on a daily basis, only for troubleshooting and tasks that involve the VM's boot routine. For everyday access I recommend installing nomachine in the VM, the graphics are much better and it can pass sound.

passing sound is the next thing I wanted to get working, but it looks like my onboard sound card for my ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec) is not supported (can't select a sound card in the VM properties, drop down just says none). I was going to create a different thread for that.

thanks a lot jonathanm!