Windows VM on ssd SLOW

Hello from Munich,

I am currently having problems with my unraid server. I switched to the x99 platform. With an Intel Xeon E5 2698v3 with two 16 GB RAM modules.
The board is the Asus X99 DELUXE

Now to my problem, the ssd is super fast in normal Windows operation (system disk) without unraid. Explorer opens quickly etc. If I create a VM on this or another ssd, it is really slow, the Explorer needs a good time to open and I would like to use my vms at full speed again.
Why is my ssd so slow in unraid and not without unraid?

Hope a good guide to solving my problem too

This may or may not help.  I recently upgraded from 6.8.3 to 6.9.1 and windows was extremely slow.  I did the following:

Opened Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off (upper left corner) (or just open windows and search for Features and it should show)

Unchecked everything under "Hyper-V"  (I Run Unraid with VMs, but I do not Run  Unaid with VMs that Run VMs (nested VMs) so I do not need this feature)

Checked the box "Windows Subsystem for Linux" I think this is referred to as WSL  I also hear people refer to WSL2 but I currently do not see that as an option

I do have other boxes that I have checked when creating the VM a long time ago, but I do not think they are related to this issue.

I then rebooted and The slowness that I was having and CPU usage issues went away (very snappy now).  Hope this helps.

Be sure to back up your VM image before attempting this.

Edited by Albin
  • Like 1