Best way to remote (GUI) into VM from the local Unraid machine?

Hi there. I'm looking for the best way to remote into a Windows VM from the local unraid machine. Is the only optino the built-in VNC Remote? Or is there a docker / plugin I can install on Unraid? I've been using Nomachine to access from my other devices, but am also looking for a solution to access the VM from the local unraid machine attached to a monitor.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Disclaimer, I've not tried this, it may fail spectacularly, but you may be able to use

Thank you. I will look into this. I'm aware of Apache Guacamole, but haven't looked too deeply into how to get it setup. So I'll do some research.

I'm surprised there isn't a Nomachine or similar server side plugin or Docker container for Unraid. Or at least I haven't seen one yet.

Local console is only supposed to be used for management functions, if you want to use your Unraid tower as a daily driver, the normal way is to set up a VM with passthrough video and USB. You definitely don't want to use the built in GUI console firefox for anything except controlling Unraid, it's dangerous to use it to browse the web.

13 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Local console is only supposed to be used for management functions, if you want to use your Unraid tower as a daily driver, the normal way is to set up a VM with passthrough video and USB. You definitely don't want to use the built in GUI console firefox for anything except controlling Unraid, it's dangerous to use it to browse the web.

Ok, so a separate machine is the best way to use VMs running on Unraid. That's fine. Was just asking since my server lives right by my desk, so I thought maybe I could run VMs directly (other than through the built-in VNC Remote).

I was able to get Apache Guacamole setup to SSH into Unraid which is cool. Not helpful when I'm on my local network, but I could see it being useful when I'm not.

Edited by ramair02
3 minutes ago, ramair02 said:

Ok, so a separate machine is the best way to use VMs running on Unraid.

Not necessarily. Many people pass through a local video card so the VM displays directly to a monitor connected to the server.

I have a VM that drives a video card attached to my projector and sound system for my home theater.

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Not necessarily. Many people pass through a local video card so the VM displays directly to a monitor connected to the server.

I have a VM that drives a video card attached to my projector and sound system for my home theater.

Oh, interesting. Is there a resource or guide you know of to help me set up something like that?

• 10 months later...