6.8.3: Device is Disabled, Contents Emulated

Go to solution Solved by John_M,

Hello,

I woke up this morning to some errors from my unRAID server. A parity check had begun this morning (I run it monthly on the first of every month), but had failed a couple hours in. Now I see the message "Last check incomplete on Thu 01 Apr 2021 02:15:49 AM MST (today), finding 386 errors." when on the Main tab. Disk 2 has a red x instead of a green dot and says "Device is Disabled, Contents Emulated". This worried me, but I can't see anything wrong in the SMART data. Unfortunately, my next step was to reboot the server in order to see if the drive would come back to the array; I didn't think to grab the diagnostic log before doing so. Once the server came back up I was greeted with the same message about the disc being Disabled and its contents emulated. Any idea what could have caused this and how I can recover? Maybe a bad SATA cable? The drive in question has been in place for nearly 3 years at this point.

image.png.538d00e0d9f3d71f1e28e55cc2d302b6.png

image.png.8b783734015753dd55862021cbfe408a.png

I've attached the diagnostics log from after I rebooted.

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20210401-1106.zip

Edited by sazrocks
  • Solution
8 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I've attached the diagnostics log from after I rebooted.

For that reason it isn't possible to say why the disk was disabled but bad connections are the most common cause. However, the disk seems ok from its SMART report, if rather too hot. I'd replace the SATA cable, check the power cable and then rebuild onto the same disk. With the array stopped, unassign Disk 2, start the array, stop the array, reassign Disk 2 and let it rebuild. And give some thought to improving the cooling.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, John_M said:

For that reason it isn't possible to say why the disk was disabled but bad connections are the most common cause. However, the disk seems ok from its SMART report, if rather too hot. I'd replace the SATA cable, check the power cable and then rebuild onto the same disk. With the array stopped, unassign Disk 2, start the array, stop the array, reassign Disk 2 and let it rebuild. And give some thought to improving the cooling.

Thanks, yeah that was my thought, probably a bad connection somewhere since the smart report was clean. I've ordered a new set of sata cables, hopefully that fixes the issue. As for the logging, perhaps I should finally setup a proper external logging server. Thanks for your help!