We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

How do I stop media writing to Disk without loosing the ability to read from it?

Hi, new to Unraid

I have 5 x 4TB disks in an array

1 disk for parity ~  disk 1 in one share & disks 2,3 & 4 in another share

Used High-water allocation on the array & Warning disk utilization 78% ~ Critical disk utilization 80% on all 

Disk 2 has gone past 80% & is still being written to ... Disks 3 & 4 are 74% & 75%

How can I stop writing to Disk 2  without loosing the ability to read from it?

Just now, pokes said:

Hi, new to Unraid

I have 5 x 4TB disks in an array

1 disk for parity ~  disk 1 in one share & disks 2,3 & 4 in another share

Used High-water allocation on the array & Warning disk utilization 78% ~ Critical disk utilization 80% on all 

Disk 2 has gone past 80% & is still being written to ... Disks 3 & 4 are 74% & 75%

How can I stop writing to Disk 2  without loosing the ability to read from it?

This is almost certainly due to the Split Level you have set for the shares in question.    When unRaid tries to select a disk for a file in the event of contention between settings on the share then Split Level always takes precedence.    You also have the option to Exclude any specific disk(s) from a share which will stop any new files being written to that disk, but the files will still be found for read purposes.

Thanks for the quick reply

So in "Share Settings" for disks 2,3 & 4   

I added disk 2 to "Excluded disks"  .. do I remove it from "Included disk" as it's now in both?

also does Split Level always takes precedence when adding new files to a share that are not in any sub-folder?

2 hours ago, pokes said:

Thanks for the quick reply

So in "Share Settings" for disks 2,3 & 4   

I added disk 2 to "Excluded disks"  .. do I remove it from "Included disk" as it's now in both?

also does Split Level always takes precedence when adding new files to a share that are not in any sub-folder?

You should use EITHER Include OR Exclude - not both.    Files that belong in a share should still be found for read purposes even on disks that are not on the include list.

By definition all shares are in a folder as the top level of a share is a folder corresponding to the Share name.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

You should use EITHER Include OR Exclude - not both

Thanks for all your help  ...  Unraid somehow allowed Include & Exclude on disk 2, this did stop any writing to that disk   

but I have now unticked the "Include" in my Share Settings on Disk 2 , as I was thinking it could cause problems

I couldn't find a defining answer to this in FAQ, but I did find this 

Thanks Again