[6.9.2] Disk failure followed my multiple failures. (SOLVED)

I had a disk fail and every replacement so far has also errored out, run incredibly slow, refused to mount, failed to format, failed the rebuild, or experienced a combination the aforementioned issues.

They're not used disks, and I'm pretty sure the first few had previously been through pre-clear though that was many months ago and they've just been hanging around unassigned waiting for a failure.

I've RMA'd the original failure and two brand new drives from the same batch thinking I just had bad luck, but I've moved on to a newer batch and different manufacturers with no better luck. I've tried swapping cables and moving to different ports but see the same behavior. 

At this point the server is refusing to see one drive and refuses to mount or pre-clear two others but is otherwise functional. 

I'm pretty sure the original data was lost, so I'm not so concerned about rebuilding for the sake of recovering as much as I'm concerned about rebuilding for the sake of having a fault tolerant array again so I can move it all over to new hardware I have staged and waiting. 

I've been through a couple read checks, I haven't been offered the opportunity to rebuild the array in a few weeks and at this point attempting to select any of the drives that do show up causes the selected drive to disappear from the dropdown.

I'm seeing errors scroll when I look at logs no matter where I look so I'm not finding the signal in the noise. 

Edited by willdouglas
adding version to topic, adding solved tag.
  • willdouglas changed the title to [6.9.2] Disk failure followed my multiple failures.

I moved the drives from an LSI card with SAS breakout cables to onboard SATA last time I encountered an issue like this and at the time assumed the card was failing. 

I am using power splitters. I wouldn't think it was a power issue but it is the last common factor between the ports experiencing issues.

New splitters and cables are inbound today, I'll swap out when they arrive. 

If the issue persists I'll swap the PSU and see if that makes a difference. 

I think this is solved.

Like a true crawlspace scientist I changed two things at once so I'm not sure which was the solution, but it's fixed and I'm out of the crawlspace.

I swapped out my SATA cables for new cables and moved half the drives to a new splitter fed from a different power feed which is probably on another rail.

No more scrolling errors and the rebuild is proceeding at a rate I can comprehend as a human. 

• willdouglas changed the title to [6.9.2] Disk failure followed my multiple failures. (SOLVED)