How To Use Personal Private Docker Hub Repository

I could not find any information on how to pull docker images from docker hub from one's own private repository. I always got "Unavailable" in Unraid's Docker tab when trying to update a private repo. Looked at the code and saw that I just needed to prepend docker.io to the name.

So in general, I just had to:

1. log into docker on Unraid terminal - this saved an auth token in /root/.docker/config.json

2. start your container name with docker.io. (e.g. docker.io/dockerAccount/dockerRepo)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

you definitely saved my bacon after quite a bit of unsuccesful Google.

Proper steps for anyone else wondering:

1. Login to docker from Unraid Terminal:

1a. Clock the Button for Unraid Terminal in the Unraid UI (top right, looks like the old console symbol)

1b. type "docker login" and press enter. you will be prompted for your name and password. (no encryption, make sure you trust the unraid install and check who can access it!)

2. create new container

2a. Go to the Docker tab and press "Add Container"

2b. in the "Repository:" field enter your repository in the format docker.io/[DockerUsername]/[DockerRepositoryname]

2c. Configure your container as needed

2d. Press "DONE"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, IanDresarie said:

you definitely saved my bacon after quite a bit of unsuccesful Google.

Proper steps for anyone else wondering:

1. Login to docker from Unraid Terminal:

1a. Clock the Button for Unraid Terminal in the Unraid UI (top right, looks like the old console symbol)

1b. type "docker login" and press enter. you will be prompted for your name and password. (no encryption, make sure you trust the unraid install and check who can access it!)

2. create new container

2a. Go to the Docker tab and press "Add Container"

2b. in the "Repository:" field enter your repository in the format docker.io/[DockerUsername]/[DockerRepositoryname]

2c. Configure your container as needed

2d. Press "DONE"

For anyone stumbling into this topic and having this fail at the last step, check if you have a tag attached to your docker repository. If so, enter the repository with a colon and the tag added to it, so

docker.io/[DockerUsername]/[DockerRepositoryname]:[tag] 

By the way, I think that in stead of the tag name, "latest" as tag should work too and pull the latest version irregardless of its tag, but I didn't test this so YMMV

Sorry for reviving an older thread but the above steps failed at the last one and it took me a while to figure out why, so I thought I'd share the potential solution

• Thanks 1