[SOLVED] Unraid crashing and powering off or rebooting on array start or parity check

Posting this here for anyone who might be searching for a solution to the same issue I was having.

I was steaming some content from my Unraid machine and suddenly the connection dropped. I noticed that the system had powered off. After powering the machine back on it would immediately crash and power off again. In some cases I could boot up and it would stay on for a minute before crashing again.

After booting into safe mode I was able to run a SMART check on all disks and xfs repair with no problems. As soon as I would try to spin up the array or run a parity check the system would power off immediately. Oddly I was able to start the array In maintenance mode sometimes.

After a few hours of searching I found this post which tipped me off. Turns out I had a bad power supply unit (PSU). After swapping it out for a new one everything runs just fine and the machine has been running with zero issues.

My theory is that since the PSU was going bad the machine would boot and run fine in safe mode no problem but the additional power draw from spinning up the disks to mount the array or run parity check would be enough to trip up the bad PSU.