GPU Power Consumption (e.g. GT710 / R7 240)

Ver7o

Hello,

I run a modest R7 240 4G in my server for a VM that gets used rarely for big screen web browsing, youtube and the like. The thing that bugs me about the GPU is that it seems to consume quite a bit of power, relatively speaking.

My whole home setup (pfsense box, unraid, switch, AP) consumes about 27-28W during idle. However ever since adding a GPU that went up to 32-34W during idle, which is quite a lot to me for something that is needed rarely.

Now, the TDP for the card I'm using is specified as 30W and it seems to idle at about 5-6W (which seems a lot for something that is doing nothing? or am I exaggerating?).

Nvidia cards like GT 710 have a specified TDP of 19W, but since I don't have one to test, I'm asking the community to pitch in as these cards seem to be a popular bunch for Unraid users. What's the idle power consumption of those? Do you guys have any other suggestions for new hardware / software tips and trick?

I'd be willing to make a change for a less power hungry GPU on merit, but I just cannot justify doing it blindly, hence the awesome community.:D

In case it matters, I run H410 motherboard with Pentinum G6400 for which I am unable to isolate the sound device in its own IOMMU group, which renders the whole iGPU useless for VM passthrough.