to raid or not to raid

I'm currently planing my next build and there is just one open question remaining.

Relevant hardware would be as follows:

• AMD Ryzen 3600 or 5600X depending on price and availability 
  • ASROck Rack X570D4U-2L2T
  • 2x 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 (7.300MB/s read, 6.000MB/s write)

My specific use case is remuxing (UHD) BDs to mkv with a makeMKV Docker. So the question is whether it's faster to read the full BD from one SSD and write to another one (cache of the array) or having both SSDs in raid 0 so that the Docker will simultaneously read and write from that cache drive. 

With the first method I will get the maximum read and write speed of that specific drive. I’m not sure whether there will be a bottleneck when there is simultaneous read and write to the SSDs as it’s the case for the raid 0 option. If not then it should be faster and I’m also more flexible in storage capacity. 

Thanks for any insights!

Edited by Sledgehamma
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright I got my server and did thee testing. Very strange results as the times are identical. It seems to be some kind of limitation. Any ideas?

The hardware shouldn't be a problem as I'm using a Ryzen 5600X with 64GB RAM and two 1GB Seagate IronWolf 530 NVMe SSDs. The file in question was 46gb in size and it took 2:39 minutes, a lot slower than I was expecting. 

Raid 0.png

seperate.png

Edited by Sledgehamma