We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Upgrading Current Unraid/Plex Server hardware

mrkenori

What is your budget?  

1500-2500 USD (drives excluded)

How many drives do you want your server to be able to support and how much capacity do you need?

8-10 drives - 20TB minimum (Would like suggestions for desktop and rackable)

Is expandability important to you?  If so, what's your long term goal?

8-10 drives will provide me coverage I need (plan to start with 4 + parity + ssd cache)

Are you interested in running any unRAID Add Ons (see here)?

Link is dead - But I would like to run Plex (radarr/sonarr), Torrents

What do you plan to run for hard drives?

5400 rpm storage/parity - SSD for cache (unless deemed unnecessary)

Do you have any spare parts laying around that you would like to apply towards your build?  

NOTE: I already have a fully functional Unraid serving the above purpose - but I would like to lower my power consumption and add

additional functionality of hot swappable drives. 

--Current Hardware

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z77

Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

16GB Ram 1333mhz  

Nvidia GTX 670 FTW

Corsair TX650M PSU

I have already ordered an Nvidia Quadro P400 to replace the GPU (and)

LSI 9207-8i (IBM M5110) FLASHED TO IT MODE to replace in the current rig as I move towards a refreshed build.

I have read that the 3750k idles in the 80w range and maxes to the mid 150w

I have a watt meter coming, I don't even wanna know what the Nvidia card has been drawing.

What I am currently running is accomplishing my needs (minus multiple transcodes),

my goal is to reduce as much power consumption as possible + create expansion + a cleaner setup.

I have tried to be as thorough in following the guidelines, please let me know what other information would 

be helpful. The most important suggestions I need as far as I know are mobo/cpu/ram combo that provides

efficient power draw that is compatible with the above purchased cards + that will fit in hot swappable case/rack suggestions.

Thanks in advance. 

57 minutes ago, mrkenori said:

I have already ordered an Nvidia Quadro P400 to replace the GPU

What I am currently running is accomplishing my needs (minus multiple transcodes),

my goal is to reduce as much power consumption as possible + create expansion + a cleaner setup.

Nvidia Quadro would surely defeat your goal of maximum reduction in power consumption.

You haven't mentioned how many trans-coding streams you plan to handle and at what resolution...

But depending on those factors the 9th-10th Gen Intel processor's built-in graphics might be a power-saving solution.

I should rephrase then, I know right now I am extremely power inefficient and I would like to improve that.

I would like to be able to transcode 2-3 1080p streams. 

Eventually I would like to transcode 1-2 4k streams (as I add that content).

It is my understanding most TV's and streaming devices with plex supported will stream natively - and I will push for that as much as possible.

It is my understanding that native streaming takes very little cpu?

It seems like my current setup can handle 1-2 1080p streams with a 4900ish passmark score. 

Would you suggest I replace the cpu/mobo/ and then add a card like to p400 when I get to the point where I am transcoding 4k?

If that is the case, assume I am using the above LSI card - which case/mobo combo would you reccommend?

9 hours ago, mrkenori said:

Would you suggest I replace the cpu/mobo/ and then add a card like to p400 when I get to the point where I am transcoding 4k?

I think that would be prudent but can't be much of assistance on transcoding.

In my setup I've decided to completely remove the power usage and equipment upgrade dilemmas associated with transcoding by connecting my TVs to direct play devices that can easily handle 4K files.

Yes.

I think that is the most prudent route and highly attainable. My current build basically accomplishes what I want to do in the future - though once I have 4k content I will probably want to be able to handle a single transcode if I am on a phone or tablet personally - anyone else I would have setup for native. 

What route did you go with your full build and what would you rec. as a result?