USB drive dead or any chance to save my setup?

Flex0

Hey there,

[prelude]

half a year ago I switched from proxmox to unraid because it was said to be an easy solution. I struggeld a lot with proxmox but felt like chief Mc Hacker himself everyime I got something to work but it was to time consuming.

So I bought unraid, started from scratch and build  up my setup slowly. The part about creating shares was super easy and worked well. For VMs and containers to setup to my need like homeassistant and others it was more complex. Due to my work I wasn't able to pull it thorugh so till today I haven't finished it all to my likes.

And guess what? Intelligent as I am I did not make any backup - though I bought external hard drives for it - because why would I need a backup of an unfinished setup? I know now backup - no pity.

[problem]

So because of some strange errors I received two or three weeks ago, I shut the system down because I didn't had the time to look into it. Yesterday I restarted the system and could't connect via network. So I pluged in a display and unraid stated IPv4 adress with 169. something. Knowing this adress range isn't possible I googled the error.

I read about dying USB stick, so I tried to save my data to my linux notebook but linux couldn't read the stick.

I tried it on my Win10 machine an could save some data - though super.dat and some other things are not readable.

I swear to god I didn't do anything else - just put the stick into the computer and copy everything thats possible.

BUt after putting it back in my sever it resulted into kind of a bootloop - unraid is starting boot.bz and by the time it shows ok the system restarts. Don't know why or anything.

I tried to reinstall unraid via the installer tool on the same USB drive - but although I get the 100% install and checksum ok it dsiplays some kind of error at the end with the stick beeing the same as it was before.

[question]

Any Ideas how to save the damn thing? The usb stick is about half a year old - so my hopes are that there is still a chance.

If the stck is dead - and the super.dat is gone so is my array right? Same for the VMs and containers or is there any way to save this somehow.

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated and have a nice sunday.

Flex0

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention, already tried chkdsk but it wasn't able to run because the stick is read only or write protected (not sure how its called in english). I tried to change that via diskpart but - though diskpart stated  attrbutes cleared - the stick is still protected.