Poor SSD performance

MrFrizzy

Near the start of the year, I migrated from multiple machines down to a single Unraid 6.9.2 box with storage, dockers, and VMs. Since day one nothing has gone well or smoothly and I have consistently ran into performance issues, lockups, devices missing, etc. It has taken many months to resolve some of those issues after a lot of digging and trial and error, but I am frustrated and tired of working on this. This is my first Unraid build.

That said, I am hoping I am just overlooking something or not using the right keywords when searching around. The current issue I am trying to resolve is that I am running into performance issues with the various SSDs in my system (nothing with the HDD array). Currently I have:

• (2) 500GB Samsung 860 EVO drives as the cache (btrfs)
  • (1) 250GB Samsung 860 EVO drive as an unassigned device (ntfs)

I primarily run a Windows 10 VM off of the cache drive and have the 250GB unassigned SSD shared so it is accessible to the VM. What I am finding is that I cannot seem to get good read or write performance when moving data between the two drives. I am doing large, sequential reads and writes but I get anywhere from 10-80MB/s, not the 110MB/s I would get if it were a network bottleneck or the hundreds of MB/s I would on bare metal. I get better speeds reading and writing to the HDD array than I do between two different SSD-based drives. Another thing of note is that the VM starts getting very slow and laggy when doing these file transfers.

I have seen some people say that going with XFS on the cache drives gives much better performance, but I haven't seen much in the way of performance with btrfs. I don't want to go through the process of moving everything off of the cache, rebuild the cache with XFS, and move everything back again (multiple dockers and VMs).

I don't want to passthrough the 250GB SSD to the VM as I need it accessible to the other VMs and computers on my network.

Thoughts?