Move shares to another disk.

I have a disk (disk 0) in Unraid that is filling up and I want to move all shares to a new drive (disk 1). I want to ensure that all the shortcuts on remote user's Windows desktops will still work after the move.  I also want to ensure that all (Windows Active Directory) rights remain in tact also. So I have come up with a plan. Once I install the new drive (disk 1),  I will configure all the existing shares (in "Share settings") to only use disk 1. I assume that will move the share from disk 0 to disk 1.  Once I have done that and it has finished processing, I plan to remove disk 0 and eventually replace it with something else.

Will that work?

I am guessing you are using the notion of disk 0 and disk 1 as hypotheticals.

Unraid has an actual disk0, parity, which has no data but is always completely full of parity,

And there is an actual disk1, the first data disk in the array.

1 hour ago, Michael Eubanks said:

I assume that will move the share from disk 0 to disk 1.

Unraid never moves files from one array disk to another. User Share settings only affects where new files get written.

User shares are just the combined top level folders on all array and pool disks. Assuming your Windows desktops are only accessing User Shares, they won't know or care which array or pool disk a file is on.

If you want to move files between array disks you might take a look at the unBALANCE plugin which you can find on the Apps page. Lots of other ways to get that done but nothing automatic.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Michael Eubanks said:

move the share from disk 0 to disk 1.  Once I have done that and it has finished processing, I plan to remove disk 0 and eventually replace it with something else.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Assuming your Windows desktops are only accessing User Shares, they won't know or care which array or pool disk a file is on.

Which brings into question why you want to move anything anyway. If you just want to replace that disk with a larger disk you can just rebuild it onto a larger disk (assuming you have parity).

I am not using a parity drive, I apologize for the mix-up.  I currently have only one physical hard drive in the server and I want to replace it with a 4 TB drive which will sill leave with 5 available storage devices I can connect with my basic license.  I am removing the 1 TB drive to preserve the number of new (larger) attached storage devices I can add in the future .  

I will take a look at the unbalance plugin. Is that still the best way to go? 

Thanks.