[SOLVED] log explosion fix

twg

So I'm running unRaid 4.7. I'm having some trouble where the logs are exploding and corrupting my unRaid session. I'm trying to track down the issues causing the log explosion and I think I have found it, however, I want to implement this to prevent log explosion from crashing my unRaid (which I think is kind of ridiculous).

I found this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3352.15

I created a script and am calling the script from /boot/config/go

But it didn't work, the symbolic link was failing because the syslog file still exists in /var/log, I had to do this instead to get it to work, is this the right approach or is there a better way ?

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog stop

mkdir /tmp/log

mount tmpfs /tmp/log -t tmpfs

cp /var/log/syslog /tmp/log/

rm /var/log/syslog

ln -s /tmp/log/syslog /var/log/syslog

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog start

So I'm running unRaid 4.7. I'm having some trouble where the logs are exploding and corrupting my unRaid session. I'm trying to track down the issues causing the log explosion and I think I have found it, however, I want to implement this to prevent log explosion from crashing my unRaid (which I think is kind of ridiculous).

I found this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3352.15

I created a script and am calling the script from /boot/config/go

But it didn't work, the symbolic link was failing because the syslog file still exists in /var/log, I had to do this instead to get it to work, is this the right approach or is there a better way ?

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog stop

mkdir /tmp/log

mount tmpfs /tmp/log -t tmpfs

cp /var/log/syslog /tmp/log/

rm /var/log/syslog

ln -s /tmp/log/syslog /var/log/syslog

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog start

It looks fine.  You could have moved the current syslog instead of removing it if it had anything you wanted to keep:

mv /var/log/syslog /var/syslog.old

Archived