A7N8X-E You got it working..I Can't.. Please help!

Suse User

In my very first enquiry into UnRaid on AVSForums in October 2005 I wote:-

I currently have a Suse 9.1 Linux Server with 11 Drives (Boot drive + 10 Data Drives) in JBOD. I always figured that if any particular drive failed I have the original DVDs to reload from.

All my current drives are Reiserfs formatted (2 Sata & 9 IDE), and I have:-

Asus AV7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard

Athlon 2500 CPU

1Gb Ram

Would I be able to incorporate my existing Drives within the array complete with their data? The idea of simply Flash booting my existing system sounds great. If I need to replace the Sata volumes it wouldn't be too disasterous.

Looks like a great product!

Mark.

Limetech replied

For the current shipping Flash, your preformatted file systems will be recognized only if they are in partition 1. If this is not the case with your drives, email us and maybe I can make a patch for you. Also, though we have run the s/w on that motherboard, it has not been thoroughly tested.

Could you tell me what BIOS settings you used to get UnRaid to run on the A7N8X-E Deluxe please?

My UnRaid Key finally turned up on Friday via Global Priority Mail with £18.75 duty to pay and I just can't get it to boot from the USB key :(.

Please advise,

Many Thanks

I haven't jumped back to testing the usb key with my AMD motherboards yet, but I finally got it working on the P4P800 board.  It was so much fun....

The board came with the latest bios so I didn't have to flash it, however nothing I tried all night Friday and all day Saturday would get me anywhere.  Tom was fantastic, we exchanged numerous emails during the process, it was great just being able to bounce things off him.  At one point, I pulled the MB out of the stacker case thinking I had a intermittent short, that wasn't the case.

At the end, I got it to work but there were 2 variables in the equation...

1) I cleared the cmos and then went into setup and reset everything to the correct settings

2) I copied the backup I made of the usb key back on the usb key

Turned the power on and.... it worked!! Shut it down, put everything back in and it worked!!

Installed 2 WD 160g drives as a test

Formatted disk1 and then did the parity-sync

Been playing with it all day today with test files.  It is FANTASTIC!  Don't give up, you'll love it.  My next step is replacing the parity drive with a 500g SATAII which should have been here yesterday but DHL screwed up... Won't be here till tomorrow (Monday).  Once that's in the box, I have to start moving all my 300g drives form the TIVOs and other workstations into the server.  Then I'll just replace the 300s with 500s or larger as I see them on sale.

I haven't ordered racks yet.  I was impressed with the 3 To 4 Bracket Module that came with the Stacker, so I ordered 2 more.  They look like they are an aid to reducing the heat, at least from the drives.  Not as easy to replace drives, but that shouldn't happen more than a few times a year.. if that.  If I stick with that solution, I may build an led panel to monitor the power and activity of the drives.

To be completely honest, I am so impressed with the unRaid, I may order another one just to test the other boards with and also to experiment with being able to join my current ad domain.  I will need to figure out some way of controlling access to the unRaid with my DVD backups.  I don't want my son to be tempted copy them.

Anyway, keep plugging away.  I'll let you know if I make any headway with the AMD boards.

From the announcements Forum:- "Release 2.060324 available for limited release"  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=40.0;num_replies=13

Could my inability to boot from an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe be anything to do with this boot sector bug?

Also, would you recommend upgrading to the latest version of the software on my key prior to my very first "Initial" install?  I have the key but have not yet got my server to boot from it.

Tomm is looking into how he managed to get the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe to boot from Unraid and I'm looking forward to his results.

Thanks,

Mark.