Resolved - New build - Realtek RTL8111DL LAN - Biostar G41U3G

rajsri

Hello,

I am building my first unRAID server and hit a wall already.

I am using a Biostart G41U3G motherboard with Realtek RTL8111DL LAN chip, here is the spec:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=515

It boots via USB into unRAID (version 4.7) and able to login. When I type 'ifconfig', I don't see any IP address assigned!

I tried giving 'ethtool  eth0' command, it says the following:

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 100Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

When I issue 'ethtool  -i  eth0', I get :

driver: r8169

version: 2.3LK-NAPI

firmware-version:

bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

Please help.

-Raj

It's working now. I did shutdown the server, edited network.cfg (USB drive\config\) - on a different computer: Disabled DHCP and gave static IP.

The question is why DHCP not working? I am building another exact same server for my brother - I want to make sure DHCP works. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks...

I tried restarting the router and there is no MAC filter on the router.

Yes, there is a D-Link gigabit unmanaged switch in between the router and the unRAID system. I haven't tried connecting it to the router directly. Are there any known issues with having a switch in between? There are four other devices (one of them is linux based HP Mediavault) and none of them have problems getting an IP.

there is a guy in main who had a similar issue with same nic ....

he plugged in straight in the router and it works now ...

so maybe the driver for the realtek or one of settings makes a problem with another switch  in between...

if it is an unmanaged switch i can't think for the love of god what can be making issues ...

if it is a managed switch it maybe subnet related ...  double dhcp server on the network ? ... duplicate ip ?? just summing up things here ...

I got DHCP working withOUT removing the unmanaged switch in between. All I had to do is uncheck "Always broadcast" settining under 'DHCP Server settings; on my D-Link gigabit wired router (DGL-4100). Now, the tower gets the DHCP and also bringing up user the name 'tower' also works.

Archived