GUI not available after reboot - recycle bin plugin, safe mode

stebwen

Hi everyone,

unfortunately i had to spend the whole evening yesterday to figure out what the problem is. So hopefully, this post helps someone who is discovering the same issue. And maybe an expert can give a statement to this, because the problem is still there, i just know how to handle it for the moment.

Here is the situation:

I shut down my server yesterday after a long period of uptime (about 100 days) to insert a graphics card (Nvidia GTX 1060). After rebooting, the GUI (over LAN) was not available anymore. - that is basically the whole problem. SSH worked perfectly (important later).

What i did not know at that time, the GUI (over LAN) returns to work, it just takes a long time (over night).

- i already discovered this some time before, but there it was like 10 mins or sth, then the GUI was there again; this time it took too long in my opinion - 

So i startet to search for the issue:

1. GPU in and out - same problem 

2. Localhost GUI - same problem (no networking issue)

3. all dockers off, all VMs off - same problem
4. boot in Safe Mode - everything fine (plugins?) - side note: GPU is perfectly detected in Safe mode, dockers working, VMs fine

In safe mode i installed all plugins back in... everything fine - weird isn't it?

Ok, all plugins deleted in /boot/config/plugins 

Normal startup - fine

Result:

it is the "Recycle Bin" plugin that causes the GUI to start up with a very long delay!

System: 6.9.2    Recycle Bin: 2021.08.14

So, here are my questions to the whole thing:

- in the plugins folder i discovered some files like: ._unassiged.devices.plg  /  ._recycle.bin.plg  is that supposed to be like that or does the system need them?

- there is a folder /boot/config/plugins-error  - this one contained the unassigned.devices.plg, why is that? the Unassigned devices didn't cause any problems

- is there a reason why the recycle bin plugin needs so much time to start up? - My first thought was the "Update Recycle Bin Size in Background" feature: but turning on/off makes no difference for startup

- why does it prevent the GUI from responding?

- what are those running tasks about? - /usr/bin/du -shc /mnt/.....    AND   find /mnt/cache/exchange/.Recycle.Bin

I looked into "htop" over SSH while the GUI was not available and discovered some tasks (see screenshot) that seem "to work for the recycle bin" and causing a relatively high CPU load (nothing else started) 

Thanks in advance to experts for answering and i hope this documentation helps someone else.

IMG_5953.JPG

Edited by stebwen