Yet another backup thread

lusitopp

First, I think it's wierd that there is no official plugin and thread regarding backup of the data stored on Unraid.

But now for my questions I need help with.

Unraid is getting more and more important to me, both shares and dockers appdata. Today i have no backup.

I want offsite backup but I have no possibility to setup another Unraid at another location.

Prio1: Backup my nextcloud share (today it is around 250gb).

Also backup versions, in cause of corruption etc I don't want corrupted data to overwrite healthy backups.

Prio2: Backup dockers appdata. Preferably to be able to shutdown dockers, backup and then start the docker.

Prio3: Backup VMs.

Prio4: Price. Of course I want it to be as cheap as possible.

So, what is the easiest why to fullfill this?

Regards

There are many threads, as well as Docker/plugins in CA, devoted to backup.  But as servers can range from just a few TB to several hundreds of TB, and how important people feel their data is (and the cost of protecting it), it is impossible to have a one-size-fits-all solution.

My server currently has about 16TB stored in the array, and roughly 2 dozen Dockers.  Most of the array data is media files, which I would hate to lose, but I value less than the PC backups and photos also stored on the server.

My backup plan was fairly inexpensive to implement, and has no reoccurring costs.  I bought inexpensive USB 3.0 enclosures for 2 old 3TB I had on hand.  I keep one connected as an Unassigned Device to the server, and weekly run a script to copy what I don't ever wish to lose.  On the first of the month, I take this drive to my work, where it sits in my desk drawer.  I bring home the other drive, plug it in to the server and clear it, and start the cycle again.

As it has backups for the home client computers, it is also very convenient for restoring (Macrium Reflect), as I can just grab the USB drive and connect to the client computer if needed.

Cons to this method are that your backup isn't always 100% latest up to date, and you need remember to make swapping the drive a monthly routine.