Discrete TPM2 in Unraid

danshady

I have Unraid running on an MSI Prestige Creator x570 board. I installed a discrete MSI TPM 2.0 (MS-4136) module on the motherboard, and set it up in the bios to run in discrete TPM mode (not fTPM). I confirmed after rebooting that the bios does detect the TPM2.0 chip and all the settings are available in the bios/etc.  

After this, booting into unraid, I can see with:   dmesg | grep -i tpm
[    0.000000] efi: ACPI=0xbc9da000 ACPI 2.0=0xbc9da014 TPMFinalLog=0xbc9a4000 SMBIOS=0xbda06000 MEMATTR=0xb5cb1018 RNG=0xbda6e798 TPMEventLog=0xaba63018
[    0.004485] ACPI: TPM2 0x00000000BAEDF000 00004C (v04 ALASKA A M I    00000001 AMI  00000000)
[    0.004511] ACPI: Reserving TPM2 table memory at [mem 0xbaedf000-0xbaedf04b]

but that's it... I don't get any kind of /dev/tpm0 device or anything like that. I was hoping to configure passthrough to a VM of an actual discrete TPM (I see this is possible in the docs https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#tpm-device)

I also see that in Unraid version 6.10 we will have a new OVMF-TPM bios option for installing Windows 11 VMs, but I think this is emulated is it not? I want to actually pass through a real one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or can educate me where my thinking is wrong?

2 hours ago, danshady said:

I want to actually pass through a real one.

It will be possible with the new RC but I haven't got time to test this yet on real hardware since only my main rig has a TPM 2.0

Keep in mind that I don't recommend passing through a real TPM since this can cause problems if you ever boot Windows on the same machine.

There is not really a downside when using a emulated TPM.

Also please see here: