Soundblaster card not working properly in VM

Dodge

Hello there,

I have a pretty annoying problem with my Soundblaster x3 (USB DAC). It falls into one IOMMU group with many other devices, i don't have a PCIe USB card, so I can't single out this USB port. I just check the box in my VM template. 

My Windows 10 VM is set up as dualboot (thanks to spaceinvader), so I passthrough the NVMe drive.. Everything is great but if I have a crash of the Sound Blaster command centre I have to plug and unplug the DAC. And then I just lose the device from everywhere. Restart of VM or unraid, adding VM template again.. nothing works.

The only fix I have is to boot in bare-metal Windows, then back to unraid and voilá the sound is back. I can only think that it must be driver problem, because when I switch between bare metal and VM it is setting up devices at the startup.

Thank you Unraid community :), and please excuse my English if something doesn't make sense.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:00 PM, Dodge said:

but if I have a crash of the Sound Blaster command centre I have to plug and unplug the DAC. And then I just lose the device from everywhere

Hi,

does this mean that lsusb command in unraid doesn't see the soundblaster or it isn't detected in the vm? please explain more into details where "it isn't detected".

If it isn't detected in the vm only, if you installed soundlaster usb drivers, you may try to uninstall them, and see if windows can manage the device with its drivers.

Or if it's the opposite, try to see if any proprietary driver is available instead of that of windows.