Port forwarding with Mullvad VPN? For Plex or anything else?

Go to solution Solved by More-Pilot-7077,

Im on Unraid 6.9.2. Has anyone had luck with Port Forwarding with Mullvad? Im trying to get Plex remote access to work behind the VPN but am having issues. I have enabled a port forward in mullvad and have manually input that port into plex. But I cant get the remote access to work. I have port 32400 forwarded in my router and I just added the Mullvad port to see if I can get anything to connect to it.

I cant even get their checker to connect with that port with CHECK . Im connected to Mullvad, but It says the port is unreachable. I followed their guide HERE and used the Linux command line with and without the sudo since I had a root command line. Is it something to do with ip tables? how can I check mine? Or is it something to do with my Router? I use google wifi and can only add port rules with the found IPs. It has my Unraid server as 192.xxx but when I use the VPN docker the IP is 172.xxx. But the 172.xxx doesnt show up in the router.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have been trying for several weeks to run Plex through a VPN on unraid.  I have been able to get Plex to pickup the VPN's IP address but not having any luck with the portforward. 

One thing that I have noticed is the port will not say that it is open unless something has sucessfully connected to the port.  I tested this with a torrent downloader.  It will say it is open as soon as the torrent program connects. 

To test to see if it is even possible I did up a Windows 10 VM installed my VPN manager, I am using Ghostpath, and Plex.  Following the guide linked here https://mullvad.net/en/help/plex-mullvad/

I was able to get plex to work fine on the VM with the windows commands noted.  Tested it for several days from various locations and was solid.

So moving to Unraid now, I am running binhex-privoxyvpn to connect to the VPN and then use --net=container:binhex-privoxyvpn to connect plex to the VPN.  Plex picked up the VPN IP fine.  Next I used the command noted from linux: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xxxxx -j REDIRECT --to 32400

(xxxx = the port open on the VPN)

It is not working.  I have been doing reading on iptables and I think that is the problem but the commands are over my head. 

Did you have any luck with this? I know it works but just can't get it going on Unraid. 

• Solution
On 1/11/2022 at 11:44 AM, Asus750 said:

So moving to Unraid now, I am running binhex-privoxyvpn to connect to the VPN and then use --net=container:binhex-privoxyvpn to connect plex to the VPN.  Plex picked up the VPN IP fine.  Next I used the command noted from linux: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport xxxxx -j REDIRECT --to 32400

(xxxx = the port open on the VPN)

It is not working.  I have been doing reading on iptables and I think that is the problem but the commands are over my head. 

Did you have any luck with this? I know it works but just can't get it going on Unraid. 

I got it working with help. I asked in binhex's vpn app thread. He said to try adding a bunch of other ports to the VPN_INPUT_PORTS and it MIGHT work

VPN_INPUT_PORTS:

-p 1900:1900/udp \
  -p 3005:3005 \
  -p 5353:5353/udp \
  -p 8324:8324 \
  -p 32410:32410/udp \
  -p 32412:32412/udp \
  -p 32413:32413/udp \
  -p 32414:32414/udp \
  -p 32469:32469

I think I just entered them as 1900,3005,5353, etc. I also added port forwarding for 32400 in my router. 

The iptable command line you entered has to be done from the plex container in docker. Click on your plex container in docker and select console, then add it. I was adding it to the unraid terminal, but didnt work until I tried it in the plex docker console. I connect to the vpn the same way you do, with the -net=container method. 

Hopefully this helps.

Hey I am glad that you got it working.  I am still not having any luck.  What Plex docker are you running? I have Linuxserver/plex and the will not allow any iptable commands at all.  

Just to test things I installed binhex/arch-plexpass and when I run the iptables command I get "getsockopt failed strangely: Operation not permitted"

Looks to be a permissions issue, but not sure why. 

So far my windows 10 VM with plex and VPN is working, I added a GPU to transacode and passed it though to it so running it in a docker not really a priority now.