VM Help - NVME Passthrough

SohailS

Hi

I am trying to create a VM and Passthrough my NVME which is an Unassigned device.  I also want to pass through a GPU but at the moment I am starting with only passing the NVME through.

when i go to system settings the NVME is on its own IOMMU group so I selected it and hit Bind to VFIO.  Success I can now see the NVME Passthrough in the VM Creation.

I select none for my drive and pass the NVME through.

I boot the VM using VNC and when I try to install Windows 10 I can see the drive and Installation begins.  however on first reboot it just boots into the UEFI Shell.

What am I doing wrong?

Hopefully its an easy Fix

• 2 weeks later...

There's a video by Spaceinvader One called the best way to install and setup a Windows 10 VM as a daily driver or a gaming VM that I found very helpful. 

I ended up doing this method last night, though I already had a Windows 10 install on an NVME for a while and so didn't need to create an initial Windows bare metal install. I just followed the rest of the video.   

I did have some strange audio issues soon after, though I upgraded to the newest NVidia driver (I have a 1080 ti passed through), and so far it's working fine. 👨🏽‍🔧  I made sure to install the Virtio drivers from the E: drive as he does in this video, though I slowed that part of the video down to 25% to see what he had sped up, and I probably still wouldn't have figured it out if I didn't stop the video at points, go back, and try to see it again, but that was the part that included the ethernet and I think another related driver or two. It was probably even more simple to do the install while looking on my regular Windows install/PC on a separate monitor next to the one connected to the Unraid server.  

I also had good luck passing through my NVidia GPU by following some of Spaceinvader One's videos about passing through a GPU as well as one by someone else that explained very well how to grab the Vbios of the card and cut out the header from it that prevents it from being useful for passthrough. It may be that this is only needed for a GPU if it's in the primary PCIe slot, and cutting the header out I think is only necessary for NVidia GPU's. 

Edited by Rushtallica