i9-9900k & Asus Prime Z390-A board

Looking to upgrade my current unraid server. Its a Dell PowerEdge T30 with an Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1225 v5 and 8gb of ECC Ram.

I have a brand new i9-9900k sitting in the box and a used Asus prime z390-a board that I picked up used from Ebay. Hoping to use them in my new build.

I read the Asus board is terrible for VRM's but that should only correlate to overclocking? I don't plan to overclock anything, just looking for a stable build.

Keep the i9 and find a better motherboard? Use the Asus anyways? I could sell the intel and go with an AMD setup?

Main use for the server is Plex streaming, Windows 10VM, Mac VM and photo/file storage.

Unless I actually enable OC it doesn't appear to be turned on by default. I'm just unsure how stable it is. Very entry level board from what I am hearing? Also if the VRM's only have issues when overclocking I don't see that being a problem. I don't tend to overclock at all.

• 3 months later...

All my parts are here for the build except ram. I know this board accepts up to 2666 without OC, as that's what the limit is on the i9-9900k anyways, unless you overclock.

I was looking at the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200mhz kit. I found it for a decent price, but I won't get the full speed unless I enable XMP profile on my board. Wouldn't this cause the system to be less stable in the long run being that its on all the time as a server?

Do I just go with the 3200mhz memory and not enable XMP or try to find some 2666 ram for cheaper?

If you use two module only and you like XMP then you can go for 3200Mhz module, those high speed module most default at 2133Mhz non-XMP, you can manual set to 2666 / 2400 .....

9th Gen Intel, commonly not family with 4 module in high speed, the only nice platform I experiences is TR 1st gen, even with 8 module still easy reach high memory speed. 

** I don't like hard tune memory parameter and I would stress test it before production **

image.png.6921e8369a92187db7af159a6efa3db6.png

Edited by Vr2Io