Help identifying preclear issues

Hi all,

This is my first time seeing issues arise with preclear. I've only precleared one disk prior and everything was successful. This time my first preclear failed during the pre-read stage, then I ran three more preclears just to be sure (1 cycle, then 2 more, hence separate logs) and they were all successful but had an increasing number of sectors re-allocated. 

Do I need to be concerned about the sector re-allocation or does it mean that preclear worked as it should and "fixed" the bad sectors?

I currently have one 14TB parity drive and my intent was to swap it out for this 18TB one. It's still sitting unmounted because I'm not sure if I need to RMA the drive. I trust this forum can help me figure that out.

I have attached the three preclear logs and the SMART report for your pursual.

Thanks for your help!

preclear_rpt_ZR52F3K9_2021-11-25.txt preclear_rpt_ZR52F3K9_2021-11-19.txt preclear_disk_ZR52F3K9_21780.txt

ST18000NM000J_ZR52F3K9-20211125-0948.txt

Edited by K1ngJony
On 11/29/2021 at 6:49 PM, itimpi said:

Although in theory reallocated sectors are not always a problem I would be concerned if:

• there were more than a small number,   On a new drive I would expect 0
  • the number was not stable and kept me increasing

since you say this is a new drive I would be looking to RMA it.

Thanks for your advice @itimpi. I'll RMA the drive then, just to be safe. 

Definitely don't want a parity drive (or any drive for that matter) failing on me anytime soon if I can avoid it.