Having 2nd USB Flash Drive Mounted as Backup

Stokkes

Hi All

I recently had a USB drive die which caused a problem since my server is remote and not in my home. It just so happened where the server is located, there was nobody home for 3 days so my server was completely offline (I have remote access to the IPMI, but you obv can't replug a usb!).

I replaced the USBs and now have 2 of them that are identical. My goal was to boot with the primary while having the secondary one plugged in. However I'm running into a problem. UnRAID seems to mount BOTH USBs to /boot on boot up. 

I'd like to have both mounted (backup using unassigned devices) so I can regulary rsync the primary to the secondary in the event I have another failure. 

I figure Unraid is mounting both because they are identical and have the same volume Label (UNRAID) - anyone know how I can accomplish what I'm out to accomplish?

Thanks!

Are both of these separately licensed copies so you can boot from either without going through the license transfer process?

You could give one of them a different label (e.g. UNRAID-BACKUP) and then adding something like 

unraidlabel=UNRAID-BACKUP

to the 'append lines in the syslinux.cfg for the backup copy.  Which one gets mounted as /boot then depends which one you boot from (as long as the BIOS can tell them apart).   This is the technique I use for running Unraid VMs under my main Unraid server for development purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you! It works perfectly and I can boot from both from the menu.

The 2nd USB isn't licensed but that's fine.. Primarily I wanted to ensure I could boot from either in the event of a failure and no remote hands are available to swap the USBs.. If that happens I'll go through the license transfer process.

Thanks again!