Moving server to a different HW.

FuFu
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I am kinda rookie here and have been running my Unraid based NAS server on an old HP workstation for 2 years only following YouTube tutorials with no issues so far. Works really nice and I love it. Happens that I just got a newer and silent HP workstation with lots of memory and I would like to run my NAS server on it...  Can I just remove all my disks and my licensed Unraid flash drive and fire them up in a different hardware and system will come up exactly as it was previously? I am just trying to avoid backing up the my disk array (20 TB) which I won't have storage to allocate that much data.  Thank you anyways for any hints or help on this... it will be really appreciated. 

image.thumb.png.9014a331285dd10372da17b715fc0b11.pngimage.thumb.png.3ba675df9c92753b37c2992748714ca3.png

• Solution
1 hour ago, FuFu said:

Can I just remove all my disks and my licensed Unraid flash drive and fire them up in a different hardware and system will come up exactly as it was previously?

Yes, with 2 caveats

1. Virtual Machines if you're utilizing passthrough.  This will require you to reconfigure the devices, ACS override settings etc to match your new system
  2. If you utilize on either the old system or the new system a RAID controller set to JBOD mode which changes the serial numbers of the drives will require you to reconfigure the drives since the S/N's may change.

Can't tell if you fall into #1, and it definitely looks like you won't fall into #2

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Yes, with 2 caveats

1. Virtual Machines if you're utilizing passthrough.  This will require you to reconfigure the devices, ACS override settings etc to match your new system
  2. If you utilize on either the old system or the new system a RAID controller set to JBOD mode which changes the serial numbers of the drives will require you to reconfigure the drives since the S/N's may change.

Can't tell if you fall into #1, and it definitely looks like you won't fall into #2

Thank you Squid,

I will give it a try then... since I am not using any passthrough and for sure my RAID controllers should be in default mode.

😃