I need an hardware update

Flavio61

Hi everyone, my server needs a hardware upgrade because I am reaching the maximum capacity of the current disks. The server configuration is as follows:

M/B: Supermicro X11SSL-F Version 1.01 - s/n: UM206S007636

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 2.5. Dated: 11/26/2020

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1220 v5 @ 3.00GHz

Memory: 16 GiB DDR4 Single-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Network: bond0: bond down
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500
 eth1: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 5.10.28-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1j

I have one 10Tb parity disk, three 10Tb data disks, one 6Tb data disk and one 1Tb cache disk. All disks are connected to MB Supermicro X11SSL-F SATA ports. 

The idea is to add at least two SATA ports, replace the power supply and the case. For the power supply I already have a Corsair RM850x at home and I think I use this, but I have no idea about the SATA card and the case. As mentioned above I would like to add at least two SATA ports and I would like a case that can accommodate the current six drives plus at least two more and if possible I would like to have a case with removable discs from the outside without having to open the case.

I have no idea which board and which case is right for me and I trust the community for suggestions on how to proceed.

Another doubt I have is how to continue when I have the new case and I will have to transfer the whole system inside. In order not to lose the current configuration, do the current disks have to be connected to the same SATA ports to which they are currently connected or can they be connected to any of the available ports?

Thanks for the help you will want to give me.

• 2 weeks later...