Moving onto a boat and building new server.

Maximus01701

Hey all, 

I hope this is the right area, if not maybe you can point my in the right direction. 

But, i'm moving onto a sailboat to live full time and am looking for some suggestions on new builds. Below, I have listed out the needs. 

So i'm looking for suggestions in terms of:

- Execution ideas

- Part Ideas

- Software/configuration Ideas]

- ANYTHING i may be overlooking....  

***** Current set up ******

- 48TB across 27 or so drives in rack mounted chaise. 

- Of the 27 drives - 8 are used, the rest are spun down "unassigned" 

- Of the 8 Drives -  2 Parity, 3 SSD cache (mixed sizes/speeds), 5x3TB spinning drives. 

- Using about 10.5 TB total

**** New server use/needs ***** 

- I do video production and photograph, the server needs to be 10GB/s network. 

- Fast few TB of SSDs or NVMe for "working" space or "online" as we call it in my industry, and the rest slower "Offline" for just storage.

- Super super small.

- Super super low power draw.

**** Few Ideas I have so far *******

- Option 1 - Build two servers, one for "online" working with NVMe drives and a second slower (Maybe spinning drives). Then transfer between the two. This will help save power to not have the spinning drive up and running when not needed. But i don't like the idea of manual copying stuff or like the spinning drives because of the salt air. 

- Option 2 - Build one server for "online" working, and then a bunch of USB/external drives that plug into it and I turn them on as needed. That way the spinning USB drives are not sitting in the salty environment, and i can store them when not in use. But i don't want to have to mange and track the drive's contents... Unless there is a conviant way to track that. 

- Option 3 - Build one server with fast NVMe drives for online working, then cheaper slower SSDs for "offline" working. This may have to be the option... it's just $$ and doesn't really reuse anything I already have. Also to save power id like to have the "offline" media disconnected/powered down. But... again, i think option 3 is the best way to go so far. What do you guys thinkg?

Ideally, I can buy new stuff AS WELL AS using what I already have to keep price down.... but if option 3, then not really...  

The other thing to keep i mind although it's not really hardware related... but id like to take my current server and use that as an off site "disaster recovery" running a backup when the boat is at WiFI.

Again, just looking to start a discussion and get some ideas flowing. Thanks all!