Unraid on NUC and UDMA CRC Errors

Attenbach

Hello there,

TLDR: Don't use a NUC as a NAS :)

as shown in my profile picture, I used to run my NAS from an Intel NUC*. It was tiny!!! Though I have had collected nearly 200 UDMA CRC errors and found the culprit - so I wanted to share it with you.

To connect SATA Drives to a NUC, which naturally has only 1 SATA port, I used a M.2 to 5x SATA Adapter as shown below. This allowed me to connect up to 6 Drives in total, thanks to its JMB585 Controller running at PCIe Gen3x2 speeds - perfect for a Basic license. 

Unfortunately during intense use, such as a parity check, I got loads of Smart errors (UDMA CRC Errors) and tried everything, even adding a small heatsink to no avail. 

Now rocking a new Motherboard (with 2.5Gig Ethernet) and thanks to this or this post that helped me get everything going again, I have not had a single UDMA CRC error during parity check. It's not just the cables :)

Hope this helps and thank you all for contributing to this forums thereby helping people like me :)

*namely NUC5i5RYB with i5-5250U 2C4T CPU and 6GB Sodimm.

m2toSata.jpg