Disable Telnet ?

Hello all

I've just finished building my first unRAID server. I'm running version 4.7 and I currently have 3x WD20EARS drives installed (without jumpers but formatted using the -A option in the preclear_disk.sh script). I've read the unRAID configuration Tutorial in the wiki and kinda at the end it says you should disable unsecure protocols like telnet. I've installed openssh and the only user I have right now is the root user (since I'm using the free version of unRAID atm).

So my question is - How much sense does it make to disable telnet and if it does make sense, how to disable it?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello all

I've just finished building my first unRAID server. I'm running version 4.7 and I currently have 3x WD20EARS drives installed (without jumpers but formatted using the -A option in the preclear_disk.sh script). I've read the unRAID configuration Tutorial in the wiki and kinda at the end it says you should disable unsecure protocols like telnet. I've installed openssh and the only user I have right now is the root user (since I'm using the free version of unRAID atm).

So my question is - How much sense does it make to disable telnet and if it does make sense, how to disable it?

Thanks in advance :)

Telnet is only insecure if you have login IDs with no passwords or if there is someone snooping on you LAN looking for traffic where you are typing in plaintext. (in other words, you've already been hacked and the cracker is on your network)

Is it a part of Package manager? You could just disable auto_install on reboot if so. I'll check to see how it's loaded at boot (launch daemon?) because might as well have one less process running if you use sshd.

telnet is part of the default unRAID distribution.

To disable it you'll need to edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and then get the inet daemon to re-read the file.

The following two commands will do it.  You can add them to the end of your "go" script, but be aware, you'll only be able to use the system console or "ssh" (if you've installed it) once you disable telnet.

sed -i "s/^telnet/#telnet/" /etc/inetd.conf

killall -HUP inetd