[SOLVED] Appears my parity drive died, no warning (confirm?)

I was having connectivity issues with the server, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12549.0 but when I got home today and woke the server from sleep, my parity drive was showing as invalid with massive repeated error entries in the syslog. (wake from sleep around 22:21 in the attached syslog)

The repeating error was:

Apr 24 23:03:03 Tower emhttp: mdcmd: write: Input/output error

Apr 24 23:03:03 Tower kernel: mdcmd (98): spindown 0

Apr 24 23:03:03 Tower kernel: md: disk0: ATA_OP_STANDBYNOW1 ioctl error: -5

this was after multiple other errors it seems during the wake process.

FYI, drive is a Hitachi 2TB. No changes otherwise from what I mentioned in the connectivity issue thread. Cabling is all secure.

syslog-2011-04-24.zip

Resume from s3 has never been an issue, running with it for almost 18 months. Would just lose video to the connected monitor once it went to sleep and then resumed which was never a big deal.

Unfortunately, can't get a SMART report off the drive. I'll try to move it to my HTPC today and see what happens when I connect it there to rule out a MoBo issue.

I run in a Norco 4220, SAS backplanes, using a SAS to SATA splitter to connect to the MoBo. I'm assuming it's not a backplane issue or bad cable since all the other drives on the backplane and SAS cable are running fine.

Do want to clarify, I used unMenu to look at the SMART data previously. Since the 'failure', unRaid wasn't see the drive, it showed up in BIOS, but, per the second syslog above, you can see it's not even recognized.

If I move the Parity to my HTPC and run a SMART program to view it's details and can pull them, I'll post them up this evening.

If I can't do that there, to get my server back up and running, I assume I can plug in a new 2TB drive, boot up unRaid, run preclear and then mount it in to begin rebuilding parity? All my data should be secure, as long as I don't lose another drive while the parity is out or being rebuilt? 

Also, I was looking at the EARS drive, it appears that I can easily just place that one in to the parity spot without issues?

Drives can fail in all sorts of ways, sometimes like a lightbulb and sometimes in a longer, degrading fashion.

If a drive dies like a lightbulb, it can show no signs of failure.

If a drive appears to fail ... and you power down, pull that drive out, put another in its slot, boot, and it is recognized .... and then power down, put the original drive back into its slot, boot, and it is still not recognized, I'd say that the drive has failed.

Drives that fail like this make up only a small proportion of failures.

I moved my parity drive to my HTPC so I could pull the SMART data from it. BIOS recognized it, ran W7's Disk Management program and the drive was listed as healthy there. I ran Acronis' SMART program and the drive was listed as 100% healthy (although my HTPC system drive is showing as 28% healthy, oh crap!)

Here's the SMART data from the Hitachi I had as my parity:

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Model Family:    Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000

Device Model:    Hitachi HDS722020ALA330

Serial Number:    JK1130YAGW1JET

Firmware Version: JKAOA20N

User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is:  8

ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is:    Mon Apr 25 19:01:38 2011 CDT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity

was suspended by an interrupting command from host.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.

Self-test execution status:      (  0) The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever

been run.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection: (22036) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

No Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  1) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 255) minutes.

SCT capabilities:       (0x003d) SCT Status supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x000b  100  100  016    Pre-fail  Always      -      1

2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005  132  132  054    Pre-fail  Offline      -      105

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007  141  141  024    Pre-fail  Always      -      626 (Average 402)

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      1091

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  100  100  005    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x000b  100  100  067    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

8 Seek_Time_Performance  0x0005  112  112  020    Pre-fail  Offline      -      39

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      1817

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013  100  100  060    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      408

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      1094

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      1094

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0002  187  187  000    Old_age  Always      -      32 (Lifetime Min/Max 19/41)

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0008  100  100  000    Old_age  Offline      -      0

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

SMART Error Log Version: 0

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

okay, WTH?!  ??? I plugged the drive back into the Norco case and it's recognized, reflecting in the unraid interface as a 'new parity drive'.  I restarted the array to 'rebuild' the parity. The rebuild is running, but the parity drive is red and stating 'invalid drive'?  Will that go away once rebuilt? Should I stop parity rebuild and rerun preclear on the drive?! *EDIT* unraid interface has a 'orange' dot, which means it's rebuilding, unmenu say's invalid. So I'm gonna assume it's fine per the unRaid interface and leave the parity rebuilding.

I think I may have accidentally changed a setting in the bios that 'lost' the drive while trying to troubleshoot my NIC issue, though I've never been careless enough to mess up a BIOS setting in over 20 years of computer building.  :-[