4U <300M depth 8 + Hotswap Bays

Puntoboy

I'm planning a new server build to replace a Synology DS1515+. I already have another Unraid server I use for backing up the Synology. The problem is the network cabinet I would like to put it in only 300mm deep and I have 4U space, tops.

I can't find a single case that fits into that requirement but I then spotted this disk enclosure from Silverstone which would fit inside the rack, but I'd need to pair it with another 1 or 2U device to run UnRaid etc. and a RAID card to connect to the mini SAS ports. Ideally with two hot swap bays for SSDs. https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=483&area=en However, this enclosure seems hard to get hold of. Maybe I can cut the drive bays off of a 3U server with a SAS expander backplane instead?

My requirements for my new NAS are:
As many hot swap bays as possible (8 minimum). I have 5 x 14TB drives I need to migrate from my Synology - I have a backup
Plex Media Server and storage
Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet - Docker VMs
Home Assistant host - Currently running on Proxmoxx (The HP Mini PC in the bottom of the rack)
10GBe NIC (SFP+ Ideally but RJ45 would be fine)

I have a Mini-ITX motherboard (Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming) and a SFX-L PSU already so I could use those, but now I'm thinking another board might be better. Obviously the SFX PSU won't really fit into a 1 or 2U enclosure.

If I can't find a solution, my final plan is a Supermicro SuperChassis 826E16-R920LPB as I can just about find space for it due to the height of it. But Ideally I'd like a solution that fits inside the rack.

image.png

Edited by Puntoboy
  • 4 weeks later...

Did I post something and forgot?

This is exactly my situation and setup, DS1019 though, but all the other hardware is identical, and I’ve been googling for a month trying to find a rack mount solution to upgrade my the Synology to.

Was chasing something with 12 bays, and enough room inside for a mATX board, Xeon 10core CPU, 128GB RAM, and possible a GPU, something like a P2000 maybe. But that proved impossible. Literally impossible.

So I thought about it more, and realised 8 bay would probably do. That’ll double my usable storage over the Synology, and that’ll be plenty to get me through the next couple years, at which point I planned to move house, where I’ll have more room to install a proper 600mm deep rack.

Hasn’t improved things though. Still very tough. Closest I’ve found was a UNAS or Silverstone case. But case though, no rack mount. The UNAS might fight. Silverstone a bit tall.

Utterly lost atm. So if you find a solution, I’d be keen.