DNS resolution has stopped working

quietas

DNS on my unRAID system has stopped working completely. My array, SMB, docker containers, VMs, everything else works fine except things like Plex which need DNS to function. I can ping IP addresses inside and outside, but I can not ping any named address.

I used to have Pi-Hole installed, but I saw many people had problems with it so I removed that container. While it was installed, and currently, I have been using 9.9.9.9, 8.8.8.8, and 1.1.1.1 as the DNS which had been working just fine until last week.

I have changed the DNS to static, I have also set the IP to DHCP and neither are working. I have also set the DNS to my router (USG4Pro) with no luck. The unRAID server has been rebooted multiple times. Currently the VMs and Docker are off.

The only thing I see as major problem is that /etc/resolv.conf is empty, completely blank. If I add in the nameservers everything works fine until I reboot of course. Also /boot/config/network.cfg looks fine and has the nameservers listed. Another thing I notice is that /etc/resolv.avahi.conf is populated correctly.

Any ideas?

tower-diagnostics-20220210-0655.zip

Edited by quietas

I found this post from a couple years back. It talked about avahi and how to disable it. I did not have a /boot/config/share.cfg so I made one and added shareAvahiEnabled="no" as the only thing in it. This seems to work once I rebooted the server.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/91825-dns-servers-not-retained-in-resolvconf-on-unraid-reboot/

Is this correct and will it break anything in the long run other than not using Apples Bonjour/Avahi stuff that I don't use anyway?

If anyone is looking at this in the future, this is what I did.

nano /boot/config/share.cfg
shareAvahiEnabled="no"
<ctrl-x>
<enter>

Edited by quietas