Docker Image either full or corrupted

Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I know there's a lot of other posts on this but none seem to match mine. The ones I'm seeing are people saying they're also having issues with their Docker. Mine is only running Plex and Plex is working just fine. I'm very new to all this, as in just started my server like 4 days ago. I really have no idea what Docker even is, I just followed guides on setting up Plex. However, I was reading through the Unraid wiki and under Tips it suggested I install the Fix Common Problems Plugin. It keeps telling me "Docker Image either full or corrupted" but I don't understand. I don't know where I would check to see the size to know if it's full. And since Plex is working I assume it's not corrupt?

duckyserver-diagnostics-20220210-1454.zip

Edited by Kameechewa
Added diagnostic file

It appears that on Feb 5 at some point (you've restarted the server since then) something happened (docker image filled up would be my first guess - Several posts in the docker FAQ about how misconfiguration can result in that), and now on any given write the system puts the image back into read-only mode.

Best recourse is to stop the docker service (Settings - Docker), delete the image (same page), then re-enable the service.  Followed by Apps, Previous Apps and check off the apps you were running.  It should fix you right up in a matter of seconds.

Any further issues, then post a new set of diagnostics after doing the above

Thank you for replying! Before I do anything I want to understand more of what happened. I see where the image is and it's 21.5 GB, is that the default? I also see that under Shares the system tab is set to prefer cache. When I initially setup Plex I had copied all my Plex Media over the same day, before the mover would have had a chance to run. I also made the mistake of forgetting to set a minimum size on that share and ended up filling up the cache and getting the disk full error. Do you think that has anything to do with it? I just want to make sure I don't do whatever I did beforehand to cause the same issue.

I also just don't understand how Docker is setup. There's the image, but what's in it? I thought Plex was under system? Are Plex settings stored in appdata? The biggest thing I'm worried about right now is basically redoing my entire server. Based on what you said, to me it sounds like I'm basically doing that. So stop Docker, delete my image, start Docker, then reinstall Plex and everything under the apps tab? Are those apps stored in that image too or something? I'm confused when you say "Followed by Apps, Previous Apps and check off the apps you were running", what apps, do you mean Plex or do you mean the Apps section for things installed from Community Apps? Then say "It should fix you right up in a matter of seconds". For me I think this will be a lot more than a few seconds. Will I lose my Plex server settings or are those stored in appdata? I just want to make sure I know what needs to be done before I go deleting things.

Lastly, does what I have here look ok to you? Is there something here that caused my issue? Should transcode be in cache? Your post in the FAQ said it should not be in the Docker container, is that just the image or is the container something else? If I do that do I need to set a minimum size for system since it's using the cache? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I know so little I don't even know how to look for answers. I just get caught in a loop of what's this and what's that and then I'm even more confused and have even more questions. I've retyped this about 5 times because I keep reading other posts and then answer my own question but then have 5 more.

Plex Settings.png

Edited by Kameechewa
  • Solution
58 minutes ago, Kameechewa said:

21.5 GB, is that the default?

Yes, a 20GB docker image is the default set up.

1 hour ago, Kameechewa said:

There's the image, but what's in it?

It's the actual applications (or in Windows terms it's what's stored within c:/ProgramFiles).  In terms of what an "image" actually is, think of an ISO that you mount on Windows that you can read and write to.

Are Plex settings stored in appdata?

Yes.  (Although this is configurable by you in changing the /config path mapping -> hidden option on most apps).  In terms of Windows it's somewhat akin to C:/ProgramData

The beauty of how Unraid, docker, and the Apps tab handles things is that at any given random point in time it's 100% safe (in the vast majority of cases) to recreate the docker image file, as it only stores the executables for the apps (Plex) itself.  Everything else is stored in appdata (which is untouched by the process), so after recreating it (and reinstalling from Apps - Previous Apps) it's all back the exact same way as it was originally, with no configuration changes on your part at all.  On average I redo my docker image about once every 3 months.  Not because there's any problems with it, but rather to ensure that the Apps tab works properly in this fundamental feature of it.

For me I think this will be a lot more than a few seconds.

It really is.  Stop the service, delete the image, re-enable the service, followed by Apps - Previous Apps.  Use the check boxes and then hit Install at the bottom.  (If you've experimented with multiple plex containers, there may be more than 1 listed, but only check off what you were actually using (you can delete the ones you weren't using).  

Total its a couple of clicks and the speed of your internet.  But, you may be correct and I understated the time.  Call it the amount of time to start the process and then grab a coffee and return.

Should transcode be in cache?

My opinion is yes. 

it should not be in the Docker container, is that just the image or is the container something else?

The docker container is part of the docker image.  Terminology is always a difficult thing.  As an example, I try and force myself to refer to everything as an "App" because it makes more sense to everyone with a cell-phone, but the correct term is "container", and sometimes I will bounce back and forth between the two without noticing.

Lastly, does what I have here look ok to you?

Yes.  You tell Plex that your media library is at /data  Similarly, you tell Plex in it's settings that your temporary transcode directory is at /transcode

I also just don't understand how Docker is setup.

The concept of mappings, containers etc throws everyone for a loop.  It is also paradoxically concepts that once you understand it it's hard to explain everything.  This is a good video however.

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much for explaining everything is in such good detail and answering each of my questions! I really appreciate it. I think I have a pretty good grasp on things now and that video really helped too.

You were right, it really was that easy! No errors anymore 🥰

Edited by Kameechewa