Cant connect to unRAID after trying to turn off window 10 VM

avirhel

Hello. I lost access to unRAID even with putty after trying to simply stop my Windows VM.  This happened to me twice today.

It can't be like this. I can't keep reseting the PC all the time. Having to make Parity-Check all the time.

Please see what you can fnd wrong. I'm installing everything from the beginning again. I won't start again. I see so many errors in Sys Log.

image.png.9960dd0f982b8783694de2311c3dd3c2.png

Here is the diagnostics:

Thank you very much.

diagnostics-20220219-0329.zip

Edited by avirhel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900 CPU @ 2.80GHz

With the 10th Gen series and Intel's new features relating to turbo boost, the motherboards all started playing games with how they set up the defaults in the BIOS in order to gain them a slight edge in benchmarks performed by the various reviewers.

They did this by instead of following the specifications of the chips for thermals, they would have the BIOS setup to assume that you're running a perfect cooler that can keep everything absolutely perfect under all circumstances etc.  TLDR: It's probably a very safe bet that Asus has set up the BIOS for the TDP's to indicate "Auto"  This setting *implies* that it uses what the chip says it is (in your case 65W).  In actual practice, the Auto setting here indicates an "Unlimited" TDP setting (or 4096W).  They do this because it gives the motherboard a very slight edge in benchmarks and they count on the CPU being able to appropriately throttle itself in order to protect the system from inevitable China Syndrome.  

The net result however is that you're inherently running a massive overclock on on the CPU when under load (such as shutting down VMs),

Many users have found with the 10th Gen series that stability is terrible (across all platforms), with very similar symptoms as what you're seeing.

Go into the BIOS and set the TDP thermals accordingly (ie: set it to 65 Watts or less) and then see how things go. 

See here (and the video) for some more information