AMD Ryzen 7 5700X/G (I have both same problems)

MB is:  Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI (MS-7C94), Version 1.0
American Megatrends International, LLC., Version 1.94
BIOS dated: Thu 23 Sep 2021 12:00:00 AM CDT

Processor is AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics @ 3800 MHz

32 gig filling all 4 slots.

I have a HBA LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i 8-port 12Gb/s SATA+SAS PCI-Express 3.0 Low Profile Host.

Issue #1:  I think I got further than most.  My VM does work to a point.  It faces sudden death due to the LED (Micro Star International MYSTIC LIGHT) sub system.  For some reason it works about 15 minutes on my NVIDIA RTX 2060 then poof it is gone.  That is collateral damage for not reading blogs before purchase, but it is a NAS anyway so who cares.  I did try to use it for my older iTunes ripping, but it is not stable enough for that.  I would show the error, but I cannot even keep it running long enough anymore to get the error.  Things went south one day when I decided to pass that hardware into the VM.

Issue #2:  My primary problem is stability in the HDD's in my HBA SAS SATA.  It suffers the equivalent of rolling brownouts with CRC errors.  I thought it was old drives.  I replaced all 8 of them over several months.  Now it is failing on brand new ones.  To fix it, I take the drive out, place it in a Windows box, reformat, then put it back into the Unraid server.  It does Parity and all is good again.  So, I ordered better cables and also a new M.2 NVMe HBA SAS card.  I will try skipping the SATA board connections completely and see if it improves it.  This is my last mod, if this fails then the entire project is a fail.  I have another server running on Intel and it has never had any problems.  I think that is what I have learned here is AMD and unRaid is a no go.

gumby-diagnostics-20220226-1140.zip

Edited by gumby327

if and when the tweak I am doing above fails ... can someone recommend to me a Intel like match build (Processor and MB):

• Micro-ATX
  • 16 threads or better
  • PCIe 1 x16 double wide, 1 x1 or better, 1 x8 or better (would settle for a x4 like I have now)  
  • Ethernet 2.5 GBS
  • USB extra 2.0 inside case for thumb-drive
  • Has all the necessary unraid drivers to do the VM

in fact, this is the exact match:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D1HDPQT/?coliid=IPY2LP8W0O5IH&colid=2VOOCJZIV4PU5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086MN2XYL/?coliid=I1NXKFT148T5KX&colid=2VOOCJZIV4PU5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

will that work with Unraid?

Edited by gumby327
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not running that ryzen cpu, but i would have no hesitation buying the amazon products you linked - but my only input would be opting for a mainboard with more pci express slots.  I have 2 x16 slots and 3x1 (from memory) and I do not have much space left.

I'm Running an lsi hba, two small pci express sata controllers, a dual port nic, and a gtx1650 - actually writing that i think i must have 3 x16 slots...

Interesting post though as i was looking at replacing my 7700k with a ryzen, but i might go xeon after reading this

my computer is starting to act like the three grand I dumped into it.  All the headache stemmed around a 12gbs HBA SAS controller.  I picked up an older one since then and have it in the main server now, like it and I bought a second one for the other machine.  I spent tipple on the double speed and newer chip.  But I think it overheated somewhere in it's 5 year life and is completely flaky,  It may barely survive a parity check then die hours later, a lot of boots it lasted 3 hours and died.